The Senior Finance Manager is responsible for managing the compliance and risk management requirements for finance, procurement, contracting, and commodities control of the HHCS SAFEty Initiative. This position is responsible for making budgetary recommendations to the SAFEty Senior Director, for tracking expenses to budget, implementing and enforcing government, funder or company level fiscal policies and procedures while working in alignment with the corporate policy and procedure platform of Heartland Alliance. The Senior Finance Manager develops strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to present financial information in useful and comprehensible ways. Utilizing hands-on accounting experience and in-depth working knowledge of accounting principles, the Senior Finance Manager performs complex accounting activities and financial analysis.
Senior Finance Manager Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with program leadership, develops budget proposals and budget modifications.
- Ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), company policies, funder-specific requirements and relevant financial and legal regulations for company teams and provides training and capacity building to support knowledge transfer to program and operational staff
- Oversees accounting tasks related to daily, month-end, and year-end close
- Oversees grant management for a portfolio of awards. Includes budget preparation, cost projections, report preparation, and spending analysis. Ensuring compliance with AP/AR, billing and reporting requirements
- Ensures high-quality reporting for leadership and board audiences in collaboration with Controller
- Working in close partnership with the procurement team, ensures compliance with all applicable Federal Government Guidelines, Heartland Global Procurement Manual, and other funder regulation. Assists in managing the development and preparation of procurement solicitations, monitors the solicitation of bids and RFPs, and assists in the evaluation and determination of vendors meeting the selection criteria
- Assures efficient, cost effective, and compliant development and execution of contracts.
- Manages effective system for the ongoing monitoring of contractor performance to ensure contractors comply with stated terms and conditions.
- Manages effective system for ongoing review of contract files and maintenance of all contract files to ensure contracts are updated timely and all necessary documentation properly stored
- Creates and implements a system of inventory control and management, monitors and provides guidance on the efficient utilization and management of commodities, and implements an ongoing auditing system to assure proper receipt and utilization of all commodities
- Serves as a liaison with sub-contractors, monitors sub-contractor budgets, prepares requisitions, produces monthly financial forecasts, and maintains good relationship with sub-contractors and funders.
Senior Financial Analyst Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or related field preferred
- CPA a plus
- 7+ years of experience in accounting or finance; non-profit accounting experience preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, and experience with accounting/finance software; experience working with Blackbaud Financial Edge is desirable
- Proven communication, interpersonal and presentation skills and ability to present financial information to non-financial audience
- Experience developing, researching and implementing financial strategies and best practices
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills, meticulous attention to detail, and ability to produce high-quality work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Superior analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to key, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the Organization's AIDS Policy Statement of September, 1987. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation should contact the Employee Services Office at (312) 660-1431.