Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
The Scientist position requires an in-depth understanding of synthetic organic chemistry in order to design, develop, and optimize chemical processes that enable safe and reliable manufacture of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) under cGMPs on larger scales. The Scientist role serves as the technical lead on projects and is tasked with creating an understanding of how chemical processes work on a fundamental level as well as how those chemical processes will translate from a laboratory to a manufacturing environment while delivering projects on target with quantity, quality, time, and budget goals.
- Designs appropriate plans to meet complex research project goals within the required timeline and budget.
- Routinely analyzes and defines problems, collects relevant data, recognizes patterns, and draws valid conclusions.
- Recommends potential courses of action to clients and team leaders by providing solid results, findings, and technical solutions to project issues / day to day problems.
- Expert in independently synthesizing, purifying and analyzing chemical intermediates and active pharmaceutical ingredients using a broad range of synthetic and analytical techniques.
- Keeps accurate, legible and complete records of all experiments and observations.
- Generates written progress reports and clearly presents scientific results to clients.
- Exhibits a high level of safety awareness and conducts lab operations in a safe manner as well as holds others accountable for safe behavior in the work environment.
- Multi-tasks responsibilities including: laboratory work, preparing scientific reports and documents, presenting scientific findings to clients and management, using scientific literature to solve advanced technical problems.
- Performs additional scientific tasks with a high level of independence such as:
- Continuous learning and growth in new scientific fields and/or deepening level of competence in major field of expertise.
- Evaluates potential new projects and techniques.
- Shares special skills and expertise with other team members and departments such as Analytical Development, Quality Control, Quality Assurance, and Production groups.
- Learns and follows all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- To carry out any other duties which are within the employee’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- PhD in Chemistry or equivalent with a minimum of 0-2 years related experience in a pharmaceutical industry.
- MS in Chemistry or equivalent with a minimum of 8 years related experience in a pharmaceutical industry.
- BS in Chemistry or equivalent with a minimum of 12 years related experience in a pharmaceutical industry.
- Previous technical experience in understanding process and research development of APIs.
- Ability to lead projects and provide direction to various levels of Chemist.
- Experienced in designing, developing, and optimizing synthetic routes, producing and/or scaling up intermediates and APIs.
- Experience with common analytical techniques such as: HPLC, GC, NMR, UV, LC-MS.
- Experience in a GMP environment.
- Knowledge of MS Project. Experience in establishing integrated plans with resource and task constraints desirable.