Vacancy: Development Team Leader
Job Family: R&D.
Johnson Matthey, a FTSE 100 company, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specialising in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 13,000 people. Johnson Matthey uses science to make the world cleaner and healthier. Over the past two centuries we have built our reputation and place as a global leader through quality, integrity, and innovation. Today, more than 93% of the group's sales come from products and services which provide sustainability benefits through the positive impact they have on the environment, resource efficiency and human health, but that’s not enough. We have ambitious plans for growth and need talented individuals to help shape and lead us into our next century.
We are looking for an experienced Chemist to lead a small team of Development Chemist within our state-of-the-art laboratories in Cambridge. The team are responsiblefor the design and development of new and established products for homogeneous catalysis with a focus on new synthetic routes to ligands and homogeneous catalysts to improve scalability, robustness and safety of products, delivering proof of principle and technical transfer to internal teams and to external suppliers.
- Lead and promote JM culture of safety, sustainability and innovation.
- Own the safe operations of the team.
- Deliver high-quality hands-on experimentation and day to day management of a team of PhD level scientists to deliver new processes and products to tight deadlines.
- Design and carry out experiment to develop new chemical routes to ligands and catalysts.
- Demonstrate synthetic procedures up to 2-5L scale reactor.
- Define specifications for new products (in coordination with product manager and analytical team).
- Lead process safety understanding in view of scale up.
- Lead technical transfer for scale up in KgLab JM (Cambridge and other sites) and/or at third parties.
- Support outsourcing of precursors, intermediates and finished products from third parties.
- Clearly and synthetically communicate with team and with other functions (e.g. analysts, product manager, chemical engineers).
- Contribute to new product introduction process, through idea, evaluation and development stages.
- Supervise and develop relevant risk assessments and process chemistry evaluation.
- Lead implementation of quality policies and meet regulatory standards.
- Carry out any other duties which are within the employee’s skill and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Are you the ideal candidate?
You will have / be:
- A PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience managing or supervising a technical team with the ability to develop and motivate team members to attain successful outcomes and business objectives
- Significant Synthetic Chemistry experience in an academic or industrial environment, especially in the safe handling of air sensitive and hazardous chemistries
- Industrial experience in multi-step synthesis of products
- Highly proficient in the use of organic analytical techniques (mainly NMR, IR and HPLC/GC)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain collaborative working relationships
- Commitment to product quality and delivery for internal and external customers while working to tight deadlines
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex technical information to make business recommendations
How to apply:
Internal applicants should advise their line manager before applying. If you would like to apply please complete an online application form. For more information, please contact UKrecruit@matthey.com.
Closing date for applications: 12 July 2020
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.