Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
The incumbents will perform tasks necessary to ensure safe, compliant and efficient operation of all primary and auxiliary production equipment, mechanical utility support systems, and their associated electrical/electronic components at the facility. Additionally, the incumbents will be responsible for the training and supervision of employees and / or contractors. The incumbents will also support the operation of plant production, materials management and environmental support systems.
- Conduct corrective, preventive, and predictive maintenance of process, facilities and environmental equipment in accordance with SOPs, work instructions, safe work permits, Safety Health & Environment policies, and current Good Manufacturing Practices. Maintenance activities encompass equipment diagnostics, repairs, troubleshooting, alterations, management of service suppliers, and recommendation / implementation of solutions to prevent problem reoccurrence. Maintenance performed will be mechanical, electrical and instrumentation related.
- Calibrate and certify instruments and scales; tests and certifies PCS/DCS systems; conducts routine checks of alarms and interlocks.
- Maintains computers and software packages relevant to the design, modification, installation and calibration of electrical and instrumentation systems; PCS (DCS) and computer maintenance management systems (RAM).
- With minimal supervision install, maintain, inspect, certify, troubleshoot and repair electrical equipment, instruments and systems, including 120V, 480V and 2300V in high-hazard classified areas in accordance with NEC
- Independently coordinate and schedule set up and changeover of processing equipment.
- Coordinate the installation, calibration, repair and maintenance of building automation control Systems, HVAC controls and networks, production equipment computer based controls, electronic instrumentation and programmable logic controllers.
- Manage and maintain instrument calibration documentation and CMMS database. Responsible for the initiation of OOS and OOT documentation when instrumentation calibrations indicate out of tolerance or failure.
- Research, recommend, and specify instrumentation and equipment to support new engineering projects, as well as improve existing equipment and operations. Manage new documentation setup and calibration database integration.
- Provides hands on training to other team members and production technicians in areas of expertise.
- Develops and/or revises standard operating procedures work instructions, and lock-out tag-out instructions.
- Prioritize and communicate critical information to appropriate personnel during assigned work shifts and at shift change.
- Independently, or in conjunction with the appropriate management staff, resolve mechanical, electrical and utility system issues and complete necessary reports to ensure adequate communications and deviations from standard operations.
- Conducts and completes investigations as well as subsequent corrective actions and documents such in Trackwise.
- Ensure compliance with all safety, maintenance and operational policies and procedures. Properly handle all emergency situations.
- Maintain safe working conditions and adhere to occupational health and safety regulations.
- Trouble shooting and root cause analysis to independently resolve problems for all types of systems (mechanical, electrical, and instrumentation controls).
- Perform system and equipment shut-downs and start-ups on an as needed basis.
- Interacts with internal and external engineers and vendors to design, evaluate, purchase and install new instrumentation or equipment and assists in the design/redesign of major facilities systems.
- Designs, fabricates and installs new systems and equipment or modifies existing equipment to meet changing project applications.
- Works on projects with other departments to analyse mechanical, instrument and electrical needs for new equipment.
- Maintain critical spare parts to support the above listed maintenance activities.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- High School Diploma
- Technical Associates degree preferred
- A minimum of five to seven years of related experience and/or education in electronic, electrical, and mechanical system maintenance preferably within the API / pharmaceutical / medical device industries.
- Strong HVAC experience.
- Strong mechanical / electrical aptitude, robust knowledge and understanding of PLC and
distributed control systems, plant utilities and supporting systems in addition to GMP, DEA, and FDA regulations; ability to independently apply scientific and/or technical knowledge in the performance of job duties. Shows initiative, dependability, and perform a broad range of duties as may be required by the transition process.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, electrical and mechanical schematics, maintenance manuals, electrical control drawings, loop diagrams and P&IDs.
- In-depth understanding of fluid dynamics (including functionality and operation of various types of pumps, valves, sifters, tanks, boilers, heat exchangers, and other various fluid system components).
- Robust knowledge of electromechanical systems with various controls, (e.g. DCS, PLC). Good mechanical aptitude
- Experience with rigging and lifting large equipment.
- Experience working with forklifts, manlifts and other Arial lift equipment Some experience in pump and valve repairs.
- Experience in troubleshooting mechanical, electrical, and electronic systems.
- Solid understanding of GMP and FDA regulations
- Ability to independently apply scientific and/or technical knowledge in the performance of job duties.
- Familiarity with Lean Six Sigma concepts
- Prior training in 5S/Kaizen concepts is preferred
- Welding, brazing, and pipe fitting experience preferred
- Experience working with refrigerant (charging, evacuation, etc.) and HVAC systems preferred
- Master rigger experience preferred.