The Process Safety Chemist is responsible for process safety evaluation activities supporting the process development, kilo lab and plant scale manufacturing groups at JM Health Sector sites.
The role involves literature searching of process safety related data; performing process safety evaluation of chemicals, mixture of chemicals and reactions using differential scanning calorimetry, thermal screening units and reaction calorimetry; performing desktop calculation/evaluation based on model compounds and analyzing data to interpret and assess the severity of a hazard, and to provide suggestions for improvements.
The role will support the Process Safety Team Leader by generating reports and other technical documents, actively participating in project team related events such as process hazard assessments (PHAs) or HAZOPs and coordinating process safety needs with the development and manufacturing groups.
- Performs process safety testing using proper techniques/equipment in the lab, e.g. EasyMax, DSC, TSu.
- Analyzes and interprets data generated from testing and provides.
- Conducts literature searches and desktop evaluations of reaction enthalpy.
- Manages outsourcing of specialized safety testing as needed.
- Actively participates in Process Hazard Assessment (PHA).
- Executes projects in a timely manner, with attention to detail and follow through.
- Prepares reports summarizing safety testing data and recommendations.
- Sets up, operates, maintains, troubleshoots, calibrates and adjusts the process safety testing equipment to ensure they are kept at optimal conditions to perform, or work with outside vendors to do the same. This will include, but not limited to, RC1 and EasyMax for reaction calorimetry, as well as DSC and TSu for screening
- Documents scientific procedures and results in laboratory notebooks, or other designated forms and prepares scientific reports.
- Populates process safety data into the JM internal database.
- Participates in Client conferences and meetings.
- Develops technical proficiency, thinks independently, exercises sound judgment that corresponds with experience, and adheres to safe work practices.
- Also performs additional scientific tasks with a higher level of independence such as:
- An emphasis is placed on continuous learning and growth in new scientific fields and/or improving level of competency in major field of expertise.
- Evaluates potential new projects and techniques.
- Other duties as assigned.
Quality / Regulatory Responsibilities
- Demonstrates technical proficiency and self-assuredness in applying cGMP standards.
- Applies cGMP concepts in association with department specific responsibilities.
- Ensures all documentation produced is in compliance with governing SOPs.
- Responsible for contributing to audit readiness and for participating in quality audits with FDA, other Regulatory Agencies, and customers, as needed.
- Ensures work is in compliance with all state and federal regulations, including but not limited to GMP, DEA, FDA, etc.
Environmental, Health, & Safety Responsibilities
- Follows and abides by all EH&S policies, practices, and procedures in association with department specific responsibilities.
- Responsible to ensure adequate safety data has been recorded following JM guidelines and SOPs to satisfy OSHA PSM requirements
- Demonstrates technical and procedural proficiency and self-assuredness in applying EH&S standards.
- Responsible for contributing to audit readiness and for participating in EH&S audits with internal Company groups, regulatory agencies, and customers.
- Responsible for reporting all near misses, accidents, and dangerous occurrences through the appropriate Company procedures to ensure an investigation is initiated.
- Cooperates with all root cause investigations and follow corrective actions and compliance with Company policies and procedures, and all state and federal regulations occurs within department.
- Supports the Company’s commitment for environmental health & safety by applying ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, and Sustainability 2025 principals into daily activities.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- While performing the duties of this job it is required to stand, walk, and use hands to operate objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands or arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch when necessary for job activity.
- Specific vision abilities include: near, distance, peripheral, color perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly works with moving mechanical parts and may work with toxic or caustic chemicals. The work may be performed in humid areas with low or high temperatures.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- BS or MS in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or equivalent with 0-3 years related experience in a chemical or pharmaceutical industry.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret English-language chemical periodicals, scientific journals, and regulatory documents.
- Good understanding of Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrate ability to exercise good judgment and make decisions quickly.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with process safety techniques such as: DSC, TSu, RC1, ARC is a plus but not essential.
- Knowledge of common analytical techniques such as: HPLC, GC, NMR, pH meter, KF.
- Experience communicating effectively to management.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Experience in a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) environment.