This position is responsible for planning, evaluating, designing and modelling of manufacturing equipment and/or facility and utility layouts, both local and global, that pertain to the continuous improvement of current and future production lines, and related equipment, where catalysts are precision coated and where a high degree of automation is expected. The incumbent’s responsibilities begin at scope creation and go through to commissioning and internal customer support, while ensuring project specifications are met.
- Responsible for completing own projects or sections of engineering projects, while following internal/external standards and procedures.
- Identifies and proposes use of new technologies to gain competitive advantage.
- Reviews all project requirements, specifications and field data as well as conduct and direct studies in order to determine requirements and scope of new or modified equipment project requests.
- Utilize the appropriate CAD system(s), document management system as well as drafting equipment and peripherals to efficiently design and model new equipment and processes, or modifications to existing, as required.
- Work with the Project Engineer(s) to schedule and conduct Design reviews with appropriate personnel at key stages of the project in order to review and validate design at strategic intervals or milestones.
- Generation of relevant engineering calculations.
- Research and evaluate equipment, processes and component options available from outside vendors to assure best fit versus cost effectiveness.
- Generate and maintain equipment, utility, facility and plant layouts.
- Generate and maintain PFD and P&ID drawings for plant systems.
- Work in support role for other Designers, creating detailed part and assembly drawings of their designs while providing a second set of eyes, checking for any errors or potential problems or interferences.
- Considers and involves engineering, process, automation, maintenance and the end users in the design of automated equipment and processes.
- Provide timely project updates to management and or Project Engineers and keep projects on schedule and on budget.
- Periodically update and maintain the Design Group schedule.
- Occasionally provide time estimations for budgeting of costs and time.
- Track and document key project information such as communications, scope changes as well as logging time worked on projects in Project Management software to ensure all relevant information is documented.
- Performs drawing reviews and drawing checks as needed to assure accuracy and completeness.
- Adheres to JM EHS, housekeeping and security standards, ensures others follow and are active in driving improvements.
- Interact extensively with vendors, contractors, production and maintenance both locally and globally, as needed to ensure best fit and function are achieved and balanced against the cost.
- Assist in the development, writing and training of, and compliance with company policies and procedures for drawing creation and storage to establish and uphold company standards.
- Participates and contributes along with Project Engineers in Hazop’s, FAT’s and SAT’s
- Assist in writing and interpreting project specification documentation to ensure final equipment matches the needs dictated by the specifications.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- Minimum Associates Degree in Engineering/Mech. Design; Bachelor’s degree in Mech. Eng. Technology preferred.
- 5 years’ related work experience designing automated electro-mechanical equipment, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience using Solidworks. CSWP certification strongly preferred.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience using AutoCAD, specifically the use of Xrefs and Paperspace.
- Proficient with CAD document management software, Solidworks PDM a plus
- Strong drafting skills with the ability to produce fully detailed part and assembly drawings along full Bill of Materials.
- Well versed in GD&T practices as well as applying fits and tolerances.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Products; Word Excel, PowerPoint….
- Strong mechanical aptitude with solid problem-solving abilities.
- Knowledge of automation systems, including Servo Motors, Safety Systems and Sensors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Reports to project sponsor with minimal review
- Strong organizational and time management skills to handle working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Enjoys working in a smaller team, with a hands-on approach and clear sense of accountability and delivery to a diverse global customer base.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently, while having a strong desire to work collaboratively to develop and build a cohesive team.
- Ability to interact with vendors for technical assistance and the submittal of Request for Quotations.
- Ability to gather and/or verify field data of existing equipment as well as field dimensions.
- Ability to use measuring devices.
- Experience in reading and generating electrical and controls schematic drawings.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) a plus
- Ability to assist in writing and interpreting project specification documentation
- Ability to serve as a “Drawing Checker” for others work.