The US Technology Manager will be responsible for implementing key technology improvements and new products and processes for the PGMS business. This includes management of R&D and Technical Support & Development activities for PGMS in the US focused on growth and sustaining technology projects for the PGMS business.
The scope of this role will manage activities across all technology streams in the PGMS portfolio. This includes the overseeing technology resources across Refining, Chemicals (including Organometallics technology) and Noble Metals (Industrial Products) at the West Deptford, NJ and West Whiteland, PA sites and will vary as business need and priorities change in accordance with the portfolio management model of R&D. It will ensure the optimal disposition of technology resources toward the best NPV (Net Present Value) projects as evaluated by the PGMS/ENR NPI (New Project Initiation) system. The immediate focus will include the PGM ‘Sidestreams’ refinery rigs and any areas of the PGM products offer that represent sector strategic priorities.
The role will report functionally to the PGMS Technology Director as part of the PGMS global R&D organisation and locally to the PGMS US Sites Director providing a single point of technical expertise for the support of the US sites. The role will have a key role in developing the Technology Strategy & Roadmap for the PGMS global business.
- Ensure a pipeline of viable and profitable NPI ideas to build new business options and a future Technology Roadmap working in close collaboration with PGMS Commercial and Operations functions to identify and access new sources of profitability and competitiveness aligned with JM and Efficient Natural resources strategy and key macro trends.
- Lead, both technically and from a project management basis, the successful transfer of R&D processes and products into full scale production, on time and on budget; collaborating with teams across JM to ensure that the implemented technology is the optimum for the new business with an emphasis on Scale Up and Launch phases.
- Provide technical support to Operations working on customer issues and modified processes to enhance products & processes. Recommend and lead interventions to improve current Operational processes to improve EHS, On-Time-Delivery, Quality, Cost and Working Capital.
- In conjunction with the Operations Team, develop clear and justifiable capital expenditure plans for plant, equipment and buildings to support the new product introduction.
- Report regularly to senior and divisional management on the progress of key projects and the relative impact on the business revenue and profit streams.
- Play roles in key strategic projects, including Sidestreams, requiring integration of PM skills with a strong technical and operational improvement focus. A key aspect will be supporting the continued development and implementation of new technology in the UK new refinery build and China as required.
- Contribute to and collaborate in developing the global R&D strategy, working closely with the R&D Director and the wider business team.
- Responsible for the correct representation and the development of the PGMS technology project portfolio in the JM Keyedin system.
- Provide clear, effective leadership and direction to R&D personnel; developing the team as required to create a high performing, innovative and collaborative group that is effective at delivering new products for the business to bring to market.
- Build and establish the skillsets needed for the US Technology Team. Provide coaching and mentoring to subordinates as needed. Create a succession plan for the R&D team.
- Manage R&D in line with business processes, particularly ensuring a strong safety culture in line with JM and PGMS and JM policies.
- Maintain a wide network of experts/customers and national/international bodies in assigned fields, to monitor the market’s technology development. To maintain a network of contacts within the wider JM technical community and ensure exploitation of relevant internal and external technology.
- Contribute to the Business patent portfolio management and strategy, ensuring suitable protection for new technology.
- All other duties as assigned.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- B.A. or B.S. degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related technical field is required, PhD is preferred.
- Minimum of 7 – 10 years’ experience in a technical management role in a process industry is required.
- Must have proven capability in introducing new products and processes and optimizing these for production.
- Previous experience working in Technical/R&D and Operational roles and be able to manage between the two functions.
- Obtain a broad manufacturing knowledge base with understanding of Quality processes and manufacturing controls.
- Must have commercial experience, preferably with experience of direct customer interactions.
- Ability to demonstrate track record demonstrating improvement and innovation to add value.
- Good understanding of NPI processes and be able to show examples of encouraging an innovation culture.
- Experience working with Precious Metals is a plus.