Johnson Matthey, a FTSE 100 company, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specializing in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 13,000 people. Johnson Matthey uses science to make the world cleaner and healthier. Over the past two centuries we have built our reputation and place as a global leader through quality, integrity, and innovation. Today, more than 93% of the group's sales come from products and services which provide sustainability benefits through the positive impact they have on the environment, resource efficiency and human health.
The QC Supervisor manages the daily operation of the Quality Control laboratories. The incumbent coordinates analyses of raw materials, in-process samples, and finished products from Technical, plant operations, and other Clean Air sites. The supervisor is responsible for ensuring the tests are done per procedure and in timely fashion. This position also manages and develops a team of 7 to 8 QC Technicians. The incumbent will also participate and lead incident investigations and continuous improvement activities as necessary.
- Comply with all environmental & health and safety federal, state, local regulations and company policies and ensure team compliance to the same regulations and policies
- Support and adhere to JM’s cultural values of integrity, innovation, recognition, and freedom to act
- Coordinate activities of Quality Control personnel and test equipment to ensure testing of raw materials, in-process samples, and finished catalysts meet production and shipment schedules, as well as deadlines of other test submitters (R&D, Engineering, off-site)
- Evaluate test results and initiate response plan actions if necessary
- Ensure compliance to established procedures and usage of correct QC test methods; provide input to new test methods and procedures
- Purchase necessary supplies and other resources for department
- Initiate, revise, and maintain quality documents and procedures
- Ensure QC Technicians have means and ability to meet job responsibilities, assign projects and trainings for direct reports’ growth, and provide timely feedback and appropriate accountability
- Establish goals and objectives and perform annual reviews for QC Technicians
- Participates and leads lab investigations and continuous improvement projects
- Recommends and implements modifications to current laboratory processes
- Support the Lean / Manufacturing Excellence functions through the development and implementation of lean initiatives (5S, Kanban, etc.)
- Perform troubleshooting on various equipment and contact vendors if necessary
- Support management of costs to ensure effective resource use
- Work with the Method Transfer Group to support
- Effective and efficient transfer of new test methods into the Quality Control laboratories.
- Successful installation and validation of new or replacement analytical equipment.
- Establishment of proper MSA and capability requirements, such as Gauge R & R studies.
- Global initiatives to standardize quality-related processes.
- Global and regional round robins.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Engineering, or a relevant science with 1-3 years of industry experience. Supervisory, laboratory, automotive / industrial experience is a plus.
- Knowledgeable in the areas of chemical analysis, quality systems, and manufacturing processes.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to clearly communicate to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work effectively within a team environment with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient computer skills with good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, such as Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.