Johnson Matthey, a FTSE 100 company, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specializing in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 13,000 people. Johnson Matthey uses science to make the world cleaner and healthier. Over the past two centuries we have built our reputation and place as a global leader through quality, integrity, and innovation. Today, more than 93% of the group's sales come from products and services which provide sustainability benefits through the positive impact they have on the environment, resource efficiency and human health.
The Analytical Development Leader will manage the analytical team who is responsible for the development, qualification, and validation of analytical methods for use in the release testing of raw materials, intermediates, and final active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs), as well as in the in-process monitoring of GMP production, as required. The group also supports process research and development, and preparation of analytical reports in support of process development and regulatory submissions.
- Supervises the work of the Analytical Development team, including the provision of technical support and also the hiring of staff, performance management and mentoring of staff, and disciplinary actions as required.
- Leads the Analytical Method Development and Transfer into Quality Control process to ensure successful qualification, validation and routine use in a Quality Control environment of methods.
- Sets priorities and assigns projects and tasks for the Analytical Development team.
- Independently applies scientific knowledge (both theoretical and practical) for the resolution of analytical challenges. Uses outside resources (literature, and specialty labs) to address difficult problems.
- Introduces new analytical techniques and capabilities to the company. Uses a wide range of analytical and chemical knowledge to solve short and long term problems.
- Provides content, reviews, writes and reviews analytical portions of the proposals for analytical development projects, scientific reports, regulatory documentation, certificates, and other technical documents.
- Reviews data and reports generated by members of the Analytical Development team and others, as required.
- Supervises investigation of technical problems.
- Interacts with internal and external clients. Responds to regulatory and scientific questions from those clients and regulatory agencies.
- Oversee troubleshooting analytical instrumentation.
- Provides leadership of Analytical Development team through effective communication, coaching, training, and development, and ensures staff acts in accordance with Johnson Matthey policies and practices with respect to GMP, environmental, health, and safety (EH&S) and other related regulatory requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- MS in Analytical Chemistry with a minimum of 10 years relevant experience and demonstrated superior technical expertise; or PhD in Analytical Chemistry with 6-8 years of experience in analysis of small molecules and expertise in chromatography
- Minimum of 3 years technical staff management experience
- Demonstrated laboratory experience with techniques, including LC, GC, LC-MS, GC-MS, IC, and wet chemical analysis
- Experience in GMP environment
- In-depth knowledge of the drug development process, especially as it applies to small molecule active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs)
- Ability to set and achieve budgets within the scope of lab management
- Experience communicating to all levels of an organization and collaborating with other departments
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret English-language chemical periodicals, scientific journals, and regulatory documents
- Ability to write clear concise technical reports, business correspondences, and procedure manuals
- Thorough understanding of common Microsoft Office Windows based software and other job