Principal Analogue Design Engineer
Semtech Corporation (NASDAQ:SMTC; www.Semtech.com) is a leading supplier of high-quality analog and mixed-signal semiconductor products. Semtech is an organisation headquartered in Camarillo, California with 31 offices in 14 countries around the world. We pride ourselves of being big enough to have global reach but still a size where our staff can influence and make an impact through great performance and innovation. We are presently looking for a Principal Analogue Design Engineer to be located in our Bristol, UK office. This role is a great opportunity to join a team which is a leading supplier of laser driver, TIA, and integrated transceiver ICs to the optical communications market. Our products sell in high volumes in fibre to the home (FTTH), wireless backhaul, and datacentre application spaces.
Bristol is England’s 6th largest city with an estimated population of 500,000. It is located in the South West on the edges of the Somerset and Gloucestershire border. It is renowned for its’ creative and innovative hub and is a hot-spot for high technology and engineering companies, both established and start-up. It has a rich heritage, a broad base of attractions and is well placed for all transport networks.
We will expect you to commit and demonstrate your alignment to our core values as detailed below; these are at the heart of Semtech’s operational philosophy.
The Principal Analogue Design engineer is a leading member of the design team, typically taking the technical lead role on significant chip developments and being a key contributor of new and innovative solutions. They are trusted to make key architectural decisions on IC developments, and contribute to the technical direction and policies for the wider design team. The principal engineer is an authority in their field and is expected to support, motivate and advise more junior engineers.
- 12+ years of relevant industry experience in Analogue IC design.
- Good BSc or equivalent degree in Electronic Engineering
- Have fluent spoken and written English
- Demonstrate a deep and intuitive understanding of analogue circuit design practise
- Has taken the technical lead role on multiple chip developments
- Track record of delivering revenue generating products to market
- RF (1GHz +) analogue circuit design experience
- Has experience of an extensive range of process nodes: CMOS, BiCMOS
- Expert user of Cadence tools (IC6) and Calibre
- Deep understanding of circuit layout techniques
- Solid understanding of practises for assuring device reliability and high yield (DFM)
- Can show extensive innovation in previous work (which has delivered customer solutions)
- Device modelling experience (Verilog-AMS, SystemVerilog, etc)
- Designed chips with Analog-Mixed-Signal subsystems
- Coding skills – Scripting (Ocean/SKILL)
- Has led a large project team, and provided technical direction to the design team
- IC Design-specific training or relevant post-graduate qualification (MSc / PhD)
- 25GHz + circuit design experience
- Project leadership experience
- Experience of SOI processes and Silicon Photonics
- Understanding of optoelectronic device physics and behaviour
- Knowledge of optoelectronic communications – standards, applications, module specification
Important Qualities: We need engineers who:
- Can clearly communicate complex/difficult problems in simple and elegant fashion
- Promotes pace and drive across the design team
- Have a wide appreciation of project priorities, and have the wisdom to make considered trade-offs between conflicting requirements.
- Show strong leadership characteristics, providing support, technical guidance and direction to more junior colleagues.
Our Core Values:
Semtech core values are the principles that guide our actions. They communicate the minimum behavioural standards required of every employee. The ability to master and represent the core values is therefore very important.
Teamwork and innovation in all areas
· Common purpose – we need to all row in the same direction
· Create an environment that facilitates freedom to innovate & achieve extraordinary results
· Challenge the status quo, take measured risks, and resist conventional thinking
· Learn to win and lose as a team
Treat all individuals with dignity and respect
· Treat people the way you want to be treated
· Attack the problem not the person
· Respect and value diversity of experience, culture and opinions
· Learn from everyone – peers, subordinates, bosses, competitors and customers
Honesty and integrity in all we do
· Never compromise your integrity
· Hold everyone accountable and recognize each other’s contributions
· Explicitly communicate goals and standards of behaviour
· Do the right thing even when no one is looking or will ever find out
Open and direct communications
· Communicate clearly and candidly
· Challenge people, but learn to listen
· Focus on what is right not who is right
· Acknowledge that debate contributes to productive meetings
· Focus on efficiencies of time, work effort, decision making and $ expenditures
· Build a plan and work to meet or exceed that plan
· Treat every $ of the company’s money respectfully
· If in doubt, ask your boss