Semtech Corporation (NASDAQ:SMTC; www.semtech.com) is a leading supplier of high-quality analog and mixed-signal semiconductor products. Semtech is an organization headquartered in Camarillo, California with 31 offices in 14 countries around the world. Semtech is looking to recruit an experienced Product Definition Engineer to join our growing team.
Candidates will need to have experience in the design, implementation and production aspects of high speed optical communication systems, electronics and components.
- Work with Marketing & Product Development teams towards the detailed definition of highly differentiated new products in support of the Semtech’s optical product roadmap.
- Ensure new products are defined with superior features and performance relative to market competition.
- Work with leadership team to plan the future technology and strategic product direction for the division.
- Ensure new products are compatible with appropriate standards and customers target systems.
- Support various teams including IC Design and Applications Engineering with system level expertise.
- Ability to create system level simulations in order to aid in determining specific IC requirements and tradeoffs and to potentially influence industry standards such as OIF and IEEE 802.3 on an as required basis.
- Build and maintain relationships with customers by visiting them and attend standard organization meetings; expect international travel 3-5 times per year.
Qualifications and Experience
- BSc/ BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Microwave or RF Engineering or Physics. Masters or PhD candidates preferred.
- In excess of 2 years’ experience preferred in the Semiconductor & Telecommunications sectors.
Knowledge, skills and abilities in as many of the following as possible is preferred:
- Skilled in the field of high speed optical systems, optical transmitter/receiver architectures, signal integrity and clock and data recovery architectures.
- Detailed knowledge of optical modules and sub-systems using DFB lasers and VCSELs
- Experience of complex analogue, digital and data transmission system modeling, using MatLab, ADS/SystemVue or similar tools.
- Ability to create detailed IC requirements documents and hold review meetings with the broader internal teams as well as to support the Marketing organization when interfacing with key customers.
- An ability to work well in a team environment. Personable, approachable.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. An ability to explain complex concepts in an understandable way.
- A proven ability to build commitment and trust across all levels in a product development organization.
- Experience with IC Design of high speed Clock and Data Recovery circuits, Transimpedance Amplifiers and Laser Drivers is an asset.