The Product Design Engineer III is responsible for applying a diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices to broad areas of assignments relating to the development, design, and documentation of agricultural, municipal, and construction equipment. This position will receive general direction of key objectives to complete essential duties.
Productivity / Job Knowledge 70%
- Designs mechanical products and the application of hydraulics, electronics, and software to them.
- Prepares complete project documents and design files including production drawings, bill of materials, engineer change orders, test reports, and schematics.
- Performs standard engineering computations and analyses related to machine design, strengths of materials, hydraulic circuits, dynamics, heat transfer, power, etc. with supervision and guidance.
- Applies sound analytical methods in the evaluation and application of mechanical components, materials, hydraulics, pneumatic, electrical actuators, and sensors.
- Evaluates components and services of outside suppliers and makes decisions and/or recommendations regarding purchase and use.
- Designs and conducts experiments, and analyzes and interprets data to solve problems.
- With general direction, use knowledge of key objectives to design systems, components, and processes.
- Researches, analyzes data, and designs products from customer design specifications, custom sales orders, and other product specifications.
- Develops, monitors, and fulfills project timelines by working with Sales, Marketing, Service, Manufacturing, customers, and outside sources.
- Keeps informed of new developments and requirements in related fields that affect the organization including new technologies, techniques, processes, materials, industry standards and regulations.
- Modifies machine design to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Uses SolidWorks effectively as a design tool.
- Facilitates implementation of designs into production including Manufacturing support and Purchasing support.
- Directs and coordinates fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Evaluates field installations and recommends design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Demonstrates a good attendance record; is aware of the impact that missing work will have on the customer as well as co-workers.
- Comes to work on time as scheduled.
- Completes goals/projects on time or ahead of schedule.
- Responds to work assignments and requests by being cooperative and available.
- Follows through and meets commitments.
- Available as a resource to subordinates and/or peers.
- Follows safety procedures, protocols, policies, and adheres to all SAFESTART concepts.
- Reports all near misses to Safety, supervisor and/or HR.
- Holds others accountable for their actions and acts when others are not following established practices.
Act Like an Owner. 20%
- Leads by example and takes ownership in everything you do and or say.
- If you see something, say something and follow through until it's right.
- Considers long and short-term outcomes when making decisions.
Be Interested. Stay Interested. 20%
- Isn't complacent. Seizes opportunities to learn.
- Participates in activities to increase understanding.
Create Change. Start With Yourself. 20%
- Asks "why", is open-minded, and challenges the status quo.
- Leads and supports changes for the sake of improvement.
Seek New Perspectives. 20%
- Seeks new perspectives to challenge your own, and brings them into your decision making process.
- Involves stakeholders in making decisions. Is open to input from all sources.
Fail Fast. Learn Fast. 20%
- Takes calculated risks.
- Is fearless and quick to admit mistakes.
Qualifications and Essential Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with a minimum of five (5) years product design experience in a manufacturing environment, and with similar products; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience evaluating, selecting, and applying sensors, electronics, and hydraulics to mechanical designs.
- High level of solid modeling and documentation skills. Experience in FEA desirable.
- Strong CAD skills (SolidWorks preferred).
- Strong Computer skills including Microsoft Office suite.
- Oral and written communication skills appropriate for working with all levels of the company, customers, and suppliers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly required to sit and interface with computer systems while maintaining a high level of concentration. The employee is also regularly required to stand and walk while performing the duties of the job. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, or crouch. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands/fingers to handle or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the office work environment is usually quiet. Employee may be exposed to shop environment while distributing documents to shop area. When on shop floor, employee will be required to wear safety glasses at all times, steel-toed footwear and ear protection when job demands presence in areas outside safety zones and gloves when handling material. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration, and occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the plant shop environment is moderately loud. Position involves working indoors and outdoors with some exposure to weather conditions.