Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
Assist in the accurate and efficient manufacturing of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) in support of the business unit while meeting local, state, and federal quality and safety regulations. Operate and monitor production equipment. Learn to develop individual work plan with the help of the Shift Leader to meet production schedules. Complete batch records in accordance with FDA and Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) guidelines and business unit Standard Operating Procedures to ensure batch quality and integrity. Maintain a safe and clean operating area according to safety and quality policies/procedures.
- Ensure that all work is performed in compliance with Company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), FDA, GMPs, DEA regulations and all local, state and federal regulations regarding safety, health, and the environment.
- Communicate with Shift Leader regarding safety, production, quality or any other operational issues. Actively participates in pre-shift meetings to assist in the development of individual work plans.
- Perform manufacturing tasks related to the manufacture of APIs in the lab to commercial (multi-ton) scale in accordance to Shift Leader specifications. Includes operating and controlling reactors, electric motors, pumps, valves, filters, columns, etc.
- Learns and follows safety regulations and wear the prescribed personal protective equipment. Assist experienced team members with hazardous materials in drums, cylinders and bulk tanks.
- Operate material handling equipment, such as forklift, drum dollies, hoists, etc.
- Complete and accurately record data such as temperature of equipment, hours of operations, raw materials, and pressure of large scale reactors in accordance with good documentation practices.
- Maintain a clean production area and ensure equipment is cleaned after use. Ensure support and work areas meet all requirements for housekeeping.
- Assist with maintaining adequate supplies to ensure team has necessary supplies available to complete project work.
- Weigh, measure, and check raw materials/productions to ensure batches manufactured contain proper ingredients and quantities and that accurate inventory is maintained.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates technical proficiency and self-assuredness in applying cGMP standards.
- Applies cGMP concepts in association with department specific responsibilities and assist in the training of less experienced team members on these concepts.
- Ensures all documentation produced is in compliance with cGMP standards including good documentation practices. This includes the timely completion of data entry. It also includes accuracy of manufacturing batch records, cleaning logs and labeling of in-process materials and equipment. Review of process documentation when complete to ensure closure in a timely manner.
- Responsible for contributing to audit readiness and for participating in quality audits with FDA, other Regulatory Agencies, and customers, as needed. Contributions include daily cleaning, identification of continuous improvement areas, general area cleanliness, parts/equipment organization, etc.
- Ensures work is in compliance with all state and federal regulations, including but not limited to GMP, DEA, FDA, etc.
Environmental, Health, & Safety Responsibilities
- Follows and abides by all EH&S policies, practices, and procedures in association with department specific responsibilities.
- Demonstrates technical and procedural proficiency and self-assuredness in applying EH&S standards.
- Responsible for contributing to audit readiness and for participating in EH&S audits with internal Company groups, regulatory agencies, and customers.
- Responsible for participating in the emergency response team.
- Responsible for reporting all near misses, accidents, and dangerous occurrences through the appropriate Company procedures to ensure an investigation is initiated.
- Participate in safety programs such as Learning Events and Safety Feedback programs.
- Cooperate with all root cause investigations and follow corrective actions and compliance with Company policies and procedures, and all state and federal regulations occurs within department.
- Support the Company’s commitment for environmental health & safety by applying ISO 14001 and Sustainability 2025 principals into daily activities
- While performing the duties of this job it is required to stand, walk, and use hands to operate objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands or arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch when necessary for job activity.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds using available material handling equipment.
- Regularly works with moving mechanical parts and may work with toxic or caustic chemicals. The work may be performed in humid areas with low or high temperatures.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can vary depending on the area where work is being performed/supervised/analyzed.
- Travel between the two Johnson Matthey Pharma Services locations may be required.
- 12-hour day and night rotating shift schedule. At times overtime may be required.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- High School Diploma or equivalent with 0-2 years of experience in pharmaceutical production and/or chemical engineering environment.
- AA in chemistry, engineering, or other related technical field.
- Ability to apply scientific and/or technical knowledge in the performance of job duties.
- Ability to use a forklift. (Some experience preferred).
- Demonstrate attention-to-detail, problem solving, and ability to multi-task.
- Good written and verbal communication.
- Experience participating in a team work environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and other job-related software.
- Good understanding of GMPs and FDA regulations.
- Experience with glass lined reactors, Nutsche Filters, air driven diaphragm pumps, ovens, and vacuum pumps.