IT Strategy Director
Royston, Hertfordshire - with flexible working and UK and US travel
Circa. £95-110K Base Salary + Bonus, Pension & Benefits
Circa. £170K Package
Job Family: IT.
Johnson Matthey have an exciting opportunity for an IT Strategy Director to be based in our Royston, Hertfordshire office on a permanent basis. The role can also be based UK wide but with monthly travel to the US required with additional travel within the UK.
The role will initially work closely with our Health Sector for the first 12 months, as such experience within Health / Pharmaceuticals is essential along with the necessary regulatory aspects. Candidates should have proven experience driving IT Strategy.
The role of IT Strategy Director is a member of the Extended Leadership and will be part of a small team of senior executives who support JM’s business sectors in defining IT strategic objectives and direction. In this capacity the role holder will work with the stakeholders within that division, as well as with JMIT, to determine where improvements can be made in the business’ use of, and adoption of, technology.
- Planning and facilitating the IT strategy on behalf of the Sector
- Ensuring and supporting Sectors develop and implement strategic plans through mediation and facilitation
- Researching and understanding of JM sector(s), to be a recognised IT expert for one or more sectors
- Enabling all forms of business outcomes through innovation, analytics, IT and data exploitation
- Making smarter and better use of existing technology available to the business
- Identifying opportunities to adopt and derive benefit from new technologies and innovation
As such, the IT Strategy Director is the senior-most executive with responsibility for aligning IT policy and strategy with Sector objectives.
Key responsibilities include:
Stakeholder Engagement & Leadership
- Partner with business stakeholders at all levels to review and understand business problems and opportunities, developing a roadmap of technology change to deliver practical solutions.
- Act as a chief ‘evangelist’ for new technology strategies, translate requirements into technological vision, direction and approaches, and ensure IT develops the capabilities to support the business and digital capability strategies
- Conception of solution approaches, building consensus, demonstrating business benefit and executing the delivery of solutions
- Collaborate with all teams within the organisation, bringing together virtual teams to develop winning propositions that deliver clear value
- Ensuring stakeholders understand the operational and technical changes necessary to implement proposed innovations.
- Experience of establishing long term win-win working relationships with partners & providers, building relationships with external technology subject-matter experts to maintain a holistic knowledge of technology trends and developments.
- Keep abreast of market and industry trends to inform decisions that support IT across JM and within sectors.
- Extensive experience of managing and leading people in matrix environments
Strategy and Planning
- Drive design and implementation of required innovation platform and update continually to latest emerging technologies, whilst ensuring the roadmap is comprehensive and practical to deliver.
- Facilitate innovation forums comprising of both internal and external stakeholders
- Perform competitor research to track competitor strategies in key JM business areas and technologies and describe to the sector leads on a regular basis.
- Partner with the CIO to scan the horizon for emerging tools, skills, techniques and technologies. Work together to ensure their timely introduction for competitive advantage and to minimise duplication.
- Understands disruptive forces and the business’s economic and financial levers that are susceptible to digital transformation to effectively guide technology investment decisions.
- Strengthen global relationships in the IT field for innovation and sustained impact (e.g., high-growth tech-related sectors, start-ups, and strategies; public-private sector partnerships to boost educational excellence, etc)
- Leads the introduction of new, cutting-edge ways of working
- Research and prototype emerging technologies which can support agile innovation capability, including cloud-based system platforms
- Encourages a culture of innovation and continuous improvement.
- Create and publish papers internally and externally around new technology and suitability for potential adoption and provide content into the Capability Strategy
Delivery and Change
- Research, analyse, and leads proof of concepts around prospective technologies in order to trial new capabilities as defined in Enterprise Architecture roadmaps.
- Provide capability platform for rapid proof of concept, prototyping and piloting of transformational digital IT technology
- For candidates based in the UK - travel is expected to be significant to the Philadelphia and the USA area. For candidates based in the USA there will also be less frequent travel to Edinburgh, London and Royston, UK.
- Extensive business experience, ideally in business management, legal, financial or information or IT management — recently at or near the executive level. Broad business experience internally and within the vertical industry is desired.
- Experience working within the Health / Pharmaceuticals Sector.
- Extensive experience of managing and leading people and teams in matrix environments.
- Proven ability to work effectively across diverse teams (such as industry engagement, marketing, consulting, technical and information systems).
- Excellent business acumen and interpersonal skills; able to work across business lines at a senior level to influence and effect change to achieve common goals.
- Understands disruptive forces and the businesses’ economic and financial levers that are susceptible to digital transformation to effectively guide technology investment decisions.
- IT strategy experience — Experience in strategic technology planning and execution, and policy development and maintenance.
- Experience of establishing long term win-win working relationships with partners and providers, building relationships with external technology subject-matter experts to maintain a holistic knowledge of technology trends and developments.
How to apply: If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online
Closing date for applications: 18th January 2021
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.