Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
Design and execute environmental, health, and safety (EH&S) programs in support of Johnson Matthey’s (JM) Devens and North Andover, MA facilities. Provide the technical expertise and support necessary to monitor on-going compliance of EH&S programs (with a focus on environmental compliance) in accordance with Federal, State, local, Group EH&S, and site policies and procedures. Establish and continually improve environmental programs related to hazardous waste management, Tier II, air permitting and emission tracking, TURA, SPCC, and emergency response planning for ISO 14001 sites.
- Manage and continually improve the sites ISO 14001 environmental management program at the JM Devens and North Andover, MA sites.
- Manage all environmental programs at the Devens and North Andover, MA sites, to include hazardous waste (large quantity generator), air permitting and emissions, spill prevention, control, and countermeasures (SPCC), storm water pollution prevention planning (SWPPP), Tier II reporting, TURA, waste water, and the Integrated Contingency Plans for each site.
- Establish an internal auditing program consistent with ISO 14001 for all areas of the facility, to include plant operations, research laboratories, kilo laboratories, and facilities and maintenance, lead investigations of EH&S incidents and non-compliance matters, mentor front-line supervisors in the performance of root cause analysis, and track completion of corrective action plans.
- Coordinate and manage regulatory inspections at the Devens and North Andover, MA sites.
- Direct and coordinate site EH&S training programs to ensure all personnel receive the necessary and required EH&S training.
- Assist the EH&S Manager and Global Process Safety Engineer with the implementation of JM occupational safety and health programs, to ensure compliance with OSHA and JM internal standards.
- Collect, analyse, and report site environmental metrics to ensure performance and progress towards established EH&S goals.
- Carry out any other duties which are within the employee’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
- Oversight of the Enablon EHS incident management system including administration activities, tracking and training.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- BS in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or related EH&S or scientific field (Master of Science degree in related field preferred).
- 5-8 years of environmental experience in a pharmaceutical or chemical company.
- Strong knowledge of federal, state of Massachusetts, and local environmental regulations for hazardous waste management, air permitting, storm water pollution prevention, etc.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience implementing ISO 14001 programs.
- Experience implementing hazardous waste programs for large quantity generators (LQGs) and air permitting and emission programs in the state of Massachusetts.
- Certification as CHMM and/or TURP desirable.
- ISO 14001 Internal or Lead Auditor desirable.