Bloom Energy, a solid oxide fuel cell company, is looking for a Sr. Staff Electrical Engineer to join its product reliability team. This individual should be a dynamic and experienced professional who is looking for a rewarding future in distributed power generation technologies.
Location: This position will be based in San Jose, CA or Newark, DE
Role and Responsibilities:
- Review of design documentation for complex sites to assure they will have the capability to meet customer requirements defined. This may include mission critical, micro-grid, integrated battery storage and/or solar or other sites requiring complex power distribution and / or controls solutions.
- Support creation of System level DFMEA and risk mitigation plans to address high risk items for complex electrical systems.
- Creation of system test plans to assure detection of risks identified in system DFMEA and to evaluate performance in corner case conditions with particular focus on Electrical Power Distribution, Power Controls Systems (PCS) and micro-grid controls.
- Development of fault injection test plans to evaluate the system performance in fault detection and management while protecting the system from damage.
- Evaluate system performance during input, environmental, steady-state, dynamic and transient testing.
- Perform analysis and modeling of electric power and power electronics systems.
- Monitor and evaluate system performance for Beta test systems operating in customer sites.
- Work with install and service teams to develop site commissioning tests to validate system performance and to minimize risk.
- Lead root cause and corrective actions to resolve customer system performance issues using 8D, Six Sigma or other structured problem solving methods.
- Work with Product Development, Site design, install and field service teams to develop processes to more effectively assure successful performance to customer expectations.
Skills and Experience:
- Experienced Electrical Engineer with focus on power generation and distribution systems desired.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering with minimum 8-10 years of related experience
- Strong electrical engineering skills:
- Deep knowledge of electrical design documents interpretation and creation.
- Design experience with low and medium voltage power generation and distribution systems.
- Electrical system layout, troubleshooting and failure analysis expertise
- Knowledge of PCB layout & designs
- Familiarity with Mission Critical / Data Center redundant power systems.
- Experience with Scopes, DVMs, Mega-ohm and hi-pot testers, IR cameras and other tools and equipment for troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with environmental, reliability, compliance (NEC, UL and IEEE standards), and safety requirements for electrical equipment
- Ability to develop test plans and to design tests for power electronics safety, performance and reliability.
- Reliability testing and analysis experience
- Knowledge of fuel cell or other alternative energy products a plus.
- Strong PC and data analysis skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, including executive presentations.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams in the solution of complex issues.
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy’s mission is to make clean, reliable, and affordable energy for everyone in the world. The Company’s product, the Bloom Energy Server, delivers highly reliable and resilient, ‘Always-On’ electric power that is clean and sustainable. Bloom’s customers include twenty-five of the Fortune 100 companies and leaders in cloud services and data centers, healthcare, retail, financial services, utilities and many other industries. For more information, visit www.bloomenergy.com
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.