Job Description: Job Description: Senior Director, Environmental Compliance and EH&S
Reporting to the EVP Quality Reliability and Sustainability, the Senior Director of Environmental Compliance and EH&S is responsible for providing leadership and direction in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of worldwide environmental and Health and Safety matters. The role is responsible for establishing the vision, strategy and execution of our environmental management systems and identifying and minimizing environmental risks and liabilities to ensure compliance with all applicable national and international laws and regulations. In addition this role is responsible for managing all matters related to internal and external installations and services EH&S. This position is the primary contact for Bloom Energy (BE) customers, environmental regulatory agencies and all other entities outside the company to lead environmental policy, direction and execution and is the main contact to address all environmental questions and issues in both written and verbal situations. This role works collaboratively with Marketing, Sales, Operations, Service, Installations, Quality and Legal to provide uniform and consistent direction in support of Bloom’s mission. The ideal candidate must have proven strong executive leadership skills, excellent working knowledge of the environmental and political landscape, strong fundamental engineering knowledge in chemical, mechanical and electrical engineering, as well as an extensive background in managing EH&S functions.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Provide overall leadership for BE’s Environmental Compliance Program covering both US as well as international regulations. Track national and international environmental policy and develop strategies to influence areas relevant to Bloom.
• Manage and develop the existing EH&S function and expand its scope and reach to all national and international operations.
• Develop and directs short and long term organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies and operational procedures; monitors and evaluates effectiveness, and effects changes required for continual improvement.
• Ensure Bloom provides a safe and healthy working environment for all employees worldwide and own tracking, reporting, resolution and future mitigation of all Health and Safety compliance matters, EH&S issues and actions.
• Develop and foster strong relationships with BE customers as well as regulators at all levels of governmental agencies to ensure the continued effectiveness of environmental programs.
• Anticipate the potential for environmental risk and minimize the impact of new or changing environmental regulations by recommending actions to BE management and managing follow-on implementation.
• Provide hands on technical expertise to the Company on emerging environmental issues and new laws and on regulatory compliance issues including those involving contacts with outside entities such as regulatory agencies and environmental consultants.
• Leads and develops an effective Environmental Audit program worldwide to ensure compliance at customers, suppliers and BE obligated facilities. Audit and engage Engineering, Field Service and Installations team to assure designs and processes support and maintain environmentally sound compliance.
• Act as subject matter expert in support of customer sales engagements to include addressing Environmental questions including permits and compliance that might be included in the sale of the BE system. Continue this engagement with customers through product installation and field operation to manage on-going customer environmental inquiries throughout the life of the BE contract.
• Ensure all emissions and waste are handled properly and all environmental permits for BE facilities and operations and all other BE obligations are up-to date and maintained properly.
• Develop and maintain a reporting process that establishes and maintains metrics and targets used to measure and communicate environmental performance to US Government, State Governments and International Agencies. Ensure that federal, state and local safety laws, regulations, codes and rules are observed, and that OSHA recordkeeping and reporting requirements are met.
• Prepare safety policies and procedures, and provide support in implementing these policies and procedures, develop and conducts employee training in order to promote workplace safety.
• Conduct investigations of workplace accidents, injuries and job site safety and makes recommendations to correct any issues
Required Skills and Experience:
• 15+ years professional experience; minimum 10 years relevant environmental and EH&S experience.
• Qualifications in NCRQ, Occupational Health and OSHA certification.
• Strong knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, ordinances, and regulations. Examples include The Clean Air Act (CAA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), and Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA). Strong technical expertise in the area of compliance, OSHA and experience working with regulators.
• Demonstrated experience of managing EH&S teams in a manufacturing environment.
• Excellent working knowledge of the environmental and political landscape and strong fundamental engineering knowledge in chemical, materiel science, mechanical and electrical engineering. (Advanced qualifications in one of the above preferred).
• Ability to manage complex projects that include both internal and external stakeholders, customers and regulators in a concise, efficient manner. Proven ability to break down complex technical issues, into actionable solutions, that customers can implement.
• Strong history of dedication and follow-thorough to meeting the expectations and requirements of all customers; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
• Excellent executive leadership skills, exceptional communication, written, verbal, and interpersonal skills. Make strategic well educated decisions based upon a mixture of data analysis, experience and judgment. Based on a proven track record, is sought out by others for advice and solutions.
• Effectively cope with ambiguity and change; can make appropriate business decisions in an environment that is in a state of flux; embraces change to support company goals and objectives; learns quickly, adapts to organizational changes, designs and directs compliant workable business solutions in a changing regulatory environment.
• Strong experience working with both Legal Counsel and International regulators as well as US Federal, State, County and City regulators
• Adheres to and promotes an appropriate set of core values and ethical conduct consistent with all laws and regulations
• Demonstrated ability to interface and work collaboratively across internal departments building strong and cooperative working relationships.
• Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
• Demonstrated strong project management skills and ability to influence executives and key stakeholders on strategic decisions. Self-motivated and thrives in a dynamic environment.
• Experience of addressing Media preferred.
• Some International and domestic travel required.
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy’s mission is to make clean, reliable, and affordable energy for everyone in the world. The Company’s product, the Bloom Energy Server, delivers highly reliable and resilient, ‘Always-On’ electric power that is clean and sustainable. Bloom’s customers include twenty-five of the Fortune 100 companies and leaders in cloud services and data centers, healthcare, retail, financial services, utilities and many other industries. For more information, visit www.bloomenergy.com
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.