Bloom Energy, the leader in disruptive energy solutions based on its world changing fuel cell technology is looking a Interconnection Project Engineer to join its world class team. You will be responsible for providing technical oversight and support on issues pertaining to the utility interconnection process. The Interconnection Project Engineer will be responsible for investigating, documenting, and negotiating utility interconnection requirements. The Interconnection Project Engineer will review all electrical plans before submission to the utility and be the technical expert in negotiations requirements that may be imposed on a project.
The Interconnection Project Engineer must have experience working on electrical distribution and power generation design. The Interconnection Project Engineer must also have an understanding of utility distribution and protection systems. An understanding of grid independent infrastructure (e.g. diesel generators, UPS systems, transfer switches) and other relevant components, and the code requirements associated with installing these components is preferred.
Location: This position will be based in San Jose, CA
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Review and document pertinent utility requirements impacting the interconnection of Bloom Energy fuel cell systems.
- Responsible for ensuring design documents conform to specifications required for the interconnection of Bloom Energy fuel cell systems
- Review and confirm applicability of utility requirements.
- Negotiate utility interconnection requirements and lead the integration and application of such requirements.
- Interface with external vendors to prepare electrical equipment specifications as required.
- Assist in the development of cost estimates for complex interconnections.
- Participate in working group discussions to develop standards for interconnection of Bloom Energy fuel cell systems.
Required Skills and Experience:
- BSEE with power systems focus
- 5-10 years of progressively complex electrical engineering work, spanning both system design and field implementation.
- Working knowledge of relevant electrical codes & standards (IEEE, ANSI, NEC,CSA, NFPA, IEC, API)
- Ability to look critically at a problem set, identify unique solutions, and influence change.
- Ability to span the range from conceptual thinking in the design phase to hands-on practice in the implementation phase, including instrument checks, wiring, panel build, loop checks, etc
- Excellent time management
- Professional & collaborative – comfortable working closely with a team
- Driven - proactive and persistent with well-developed analytical skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills that include a minimum of the following:
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts in a clear, concise manner for a non-technical audience.
- Ability to interact with all levels of an organization effectively, from facilities personnel to financial leadership.
- Ability to confidently and clearly defend technical recommendations utilizing sound industry standards and referencing past performance.
- Proficient in MS Office
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- MSEE or PE license
- Experience with Rule 21 and other interconnection standards
- Field experience commissioning power generation equipment
- Basic understanding of fuel cell operation
- Experience with system studies, relay coordination, protection & control, and grounding analysis.
- ETAP, Easy Power, or SKM software
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy’s mission is to make clean, reliable, and affordable energy for everyone in the world. The Company’s product, the Bloom Energy Server, delivers highly reliable and resilient, ‘Always-On’ electric power that is clean and sustainable. Bloom’s customers include twenty-five of the Fortune 100 companies and leaders in cloud services and data centers, healthcare, retail, financial services, utilities and many other industries. For more information, visit www.bloomenergy.com
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.