Job Description: Staff Engineer, Cell Materials
Bloom faces an unprecedented opportunity to change the world and the way companies utilize energy. We have recently launched a “game changing” solution called “Always on” that will help companies power their primary business operations without disruption with cleaner, more reliable electricity generated on-site with no combustion. We are looking for a Staff Engineer, Cell Materials and Column Design to join our team in one of today’s most exciting technologies.
Location: This position is based in San Jose, CA.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Work within the stack engineering team to develop new SOFC (solid oxide fuel cell) materials and components. Lead the implementation of new technologies in production.
- Develop new materials and processes for solid oxide fuel cell electrodes, electrolytes, seals, and coatings
- Draw on extensive expertise in electrochemistry and high temperature materials to identify promising materials, define functional requirements, establish and execute characterization studies on the component and stack level, and evaluate performance and degradation against established metrics
- Work cross-functionally to qualify critical components for production, from design & drawing, analysis of experiments, specification development, first article and lifecycle management
- Work with cross-functional teams to define component specifications. Work with raw material and component suppliers to meet technical requirements, and execute continuous improvement plans for performance, cost, yield, and reliability
- Evaluate new inks, powders, and processing methods. Establish new component-level testing, test equipment, and testing protocols as appropriate to study performance, robustness, and degradation mechanisms. Explore new characterization methods and develop new metrology to advance technical learning and improve product quality. Prepare and test fuel cell components and stacks
Skills and Experience:
- PhD degree in Materials Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Physics
- 1+ yrs post-graduate experience in developing and characterizing SOFC materials
- Very strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively within cross-functional teams, in a fluid and fast-paced environment
- Exceptional analytical skills and attention to detail
- Proven ability to successfully manage multiple projects and meet deliverable deadlines amidst changing requirements, deadlines, and priorities
- Strong self-starter and team player, with a “can-do” attitude. Highly resourceful, and a “big picture” thinker
- Strong drive for results and continuous improvement
- Hands-on experience in engineering testing or lab experiments preferred
- Experience in SolidWorks modeling, GD&T, and production lifecycle management a plus
- Experience in metrology development for mass production a plus
- Experience with design of experiments (DOE) and software such as JMP and/or Minitab a plus
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy’s mission is to make clean, reliable, and affordable energy for everyone in the world. The Company’s product, the Bloom Energy Server, delivers highly reliable and resilient, ‘Always-On’ electric power that is clean and sustainable. Bloom’s customers include twenty-five of the Fortune 100 companies and leaders in cloud services and data centers, healthcare, retail, financial services, utilities and many other industries. For more information, visit www.bloomenergy.com
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.