Bloom faces an unprecedented opportunity to change the world and the way companies utilize energy. We have recently launched a “game changing” solution called “Always on” that will help companies power their primary business operations without disruption with cleaner, more reliable electricity generated on-site with no combustion. We are looking for a Permits Manager to join our team in one of today’s most exciting technologies. This individual should be a dynamic professional who is looking for a rewarding future in one of today’s most exciting technologies.
Location: The location of the position is flexible with a preference for a manager located in the West Coast (California) or East Coast (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts or Connecticut) and a stronger preference for someone who can be based out of Bloom Energy’s San Jose, California HQ.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and address the needs of Bloom’s Customer Installations Group (CIG) as it relates to regulatory requirements and permitting including all Federal, State, and local environmental, land use, and code requirements.
- Drive participation of key staff in Installation Planning Team (IPT) activity and ensure that the IPT’s get high quality, accurate and timely up-front information on permit issues & risks, requirements, processing timelines and costs at an early stage of planning.
- Influence and shape installations in the planning stage to minimize business interruption and adverse impact (cost & speed) during the permit process.
- Ensure that the permitting team develops, gains consensus on, and executes a strategy to improve permitting speed, cost and quality, specifically accounting for the impact on downstream activities.
- Mange a staff of employees and or external suppliers across the US responsible for obtaining pertinent documents and records, preparing permit application submittals, and facilitating permitting.
- Effectively communicate project goals and Bloom’s interests internally and externally
- Establish project needs and monitor work in progress to ensure final deliverables adhere to requirements.
- Ensure communication of timely and accurate status on permits to Project Management and functional leadership
- Select and manage sub-contractors and expeditors pursuant to well-thought out, documented and approved strategy plan for permitting activity.
Skills and Experience:
- Excellent inter-personal and written/oral communication skills are essential.
- The ability to thrive in an environment where prioritization and responsiveness to fast changing dynamics in a commercial environment is
- Strong understanding of permitting and citing practices is critical.
- Ability to take complicated technical concepts and translate to a general audience in a compelling, succinct manner
- Ability to manage negotiations and other needs with local agencies
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Strong self-starter who is a team player and can work independently
- Strong desire for success and significance
- Undergraduate degree required, preferably in land use planning, civil engineering or environmental engineering preferred
- 10+ years of work experience with at least 4 years in the planning or building departments of a major local government organization or other relevant equivalent experience.
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy’s mission is to make clean, reliable energy affordable for everyone in the world. The company’s product, the Bloom Energy Server, delivers highly reliable and resilient, always-on electric power that is clean, cost-effective, and ideal for microgrid applications. Bloom’s customers include many Fortune 100 companies and leaders in manufacturing, data centers, healthcare, retail, higher education, utilities, and other industries. For more information, visit www.bloomenergy.com
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.