Job Description: Staff Engineer, Electrolyzer Cell Development
We are looking for a Staff Engineer, Electrolyzer Cell Development to join our team in one of today’s most exciting technologies.
Bloom faces an unprecedented opportunity to change the world and the way companies utilize energy. Our mission is to make clean, reliable energy affordable globally. Bloom’s Energy Server, delivers highly reliable and resilient, always-on electric power that is clean, cost-effective, and ideal for micro grid applications. We are helping companies power their primary business without disruption or combustion. Our customers include but are not limited to; manufacturing, data centers, healthcare, retail, colleges, and more! For more information, visit www.bloomenergy.com.
Location: This position will be based in San Jose, CA
Role and Responsibilities:
- Work within the stack engineering team to develop new SOEC (solid oxide electrolysis cell) materials and components, and lead the implementation of new technologies in production
- Draw on extensive expertise in electrochemistry and high temperature materials to identify promising materials, define functional requirements, establish and execute characterization studies on the component and stack level, and evaluate performance and degradation against established metrics
- Develop new materials and processes for solid oxide electrolysis cell electrodes and electrolytes
- Evaluate new inks, powders, and processing methods. Establish new component-level testing, test equipment, and testing protocols as appropriate to study performance, robustness, and degradation mechanisms. Prepare and test electrolyzer cell components and stacks
- Plan and conduct DOEs of electrolysis cells and stacks, analyze data, and communicate the results to the technical team
- Work with cross-functional teams to define component specifications. Work with raw material and component suppliers to meet technical requirements, and execute continuous improvement plans for performance, cost, yield, and reliability
- Apply statistical techniques to analyze production and/or field data to learn about product performance, reliability, and yield
- Conduct cross-functional FMEA reviews (failure mode and effects analysis) to quantify risks of new technologies and processes, identify risk mitigations, and lead risks to closure
Skills and Experience:
- PhD degree in Materials Science & Engineering, Electrochemical Engineering, or Physics
- 0-2 yrs post-graduate experience in developing and characterizing SOEC (solid oxide electrolysis cell) materials, or SOFC (solid oxide fuel cell) materials
- Very strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively within cross-functional teams, in a fluid and fast-paced environment
- Exceptional analytical skills and attention to detail
- Proven ability to successfully manage multiple projects and meet deliverable deadlines amidst changing requirements, deadlines, and priorities
- Strong self-starter and team player, with a “can-do” attitude. Highly resourceful, and a “big picture” thinker
- Experience with design of experiments (DOE) and software such as JMP and/or Minitab a plus
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.