Job Title: Staff Equipment Engineer
Bloom Energy is looking for an Equipment Engineer to join its world class fuel cell development team. As Bloom grows and begins to diversify its product base, the stack engineering team is looking for an individual to help design, build, operate, and maintain a fleet of test equipment dedicated to advancing solid oxide fuel cell performance. The candidate should be an individual with a strong interest in the energy sector and a passion for equipment design, involving mechanical, electrical, and chemical disciplines.
The Equipment Engineer is responsible for advancing the capabilities of all laboratory equipment. This includes designing new mechanical systems, electrical panel layouts, and specifying components. The candidate must have strong organizational skills, an electro-mechanical background, and experience bringing new equipment online in a production environment.
The Equipment Engineer is also required to establish, promote, and maintain excellent rapport with all internal customers, co-workers, and manager.
Location: This position will be based in Sunnyvale, CA until January 2021 where the lab will move to Fremont, CA
• Performs complicated work-related tasks on various product lines
• Design new electro-mechanical test equipment
• Design upgrades to existing electro-mechanical systems
• Incorporate permanent solutions to known test failure modes
• Install and commission new equipment in a production environment
• Debug mechanical and electrical problems with the test equipment
• Maintain documentation necessary for the operation of the equipment fleet: Wiring diagrams, P&IDs, and models
• Requires no direct supervision for daily operations based upon training
• Work with and manage outside vendor supply chain (machine shops, material suppliers, laser cutters, fabricators, etc…)
• Plan, document, and execute movement of the test lab equipment at the beginning of the new year. This will be followed by commissioning and startup of all equipment in the new facility
• Host design reviews
• Host DFMEA meetings
• Professional & collaborative – demonstrated ability to work closely within a team
• Comfortable in a dynamic environment managing multiple projects
• Complete ownership of design
• Strong mechanical aptitude and experience with SolidWorks
• Familiarity with 480 VAC electrical systems
• Comfort integrating electrical and mechanical design concerns
• Familiar with optimizing and designing control systems
• Demonstrated “hands on” troubleshooting skills
• Ability to communicate with all levels within the organization in a verbal and written manner - managers, co-workers, support services, electronic communications, et al.
• Organizational and planning skills
• Computer savvy - MS Office
• Experience with high temperature processes/materials is a plus
• PCB design experience is a plus
• BS in Mechanical, Chemical, or Electrical Engineering
• 5+ years of professional experience in a technical design position, preferably in an equipment engineering role.
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.