Job Title: Sr. Test Engineer
Job Description: Bloom Energy, an energy company specializing in solid oxide fuel cells, is looking for a Test Engineer to join its world class Stack Development team. As Bloom begins to diversify its product base, the test engineering team is increasingly responsible for groundbreaking equipment and test design, helping to push the already vast technical knowledge base beyond the confines of solid oxide fuel cell power production. For the test engineer role, we are looking for a candidate motivated, curious, and excited for the opportunity to work in the energy sector, challenged with broadening their expertise in electrical, mechanical, and chemical disciplines to create applicable, trustworthy testing in support of the Stack Engineering team.
The Fuel Cell Test Engineer is responsible for timely design and execution of test protocols on fuel cell stacks and components. The role requires balancing a mixture of disciplines (electrical, mechanical, and chemical) in order to accurately and safely collect, analyze, and report required data. The Test Engineer is required to establish, promote and maintain excellent rapport with all internal customers, co-workers, and others as appropriate.
Location: This position will be based in Sunnyvale, CA. Starting in January 2021 the position moves to Fremont CA.
• Design and execute experiments to test components and processes from many aspects of the Bloom Product life cycle: R&D, Quality, Production Optimization, and Reliability
• Statistics based data analysis approach. Ideally DOE experience.
• Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish multiple goals
• Performs many complicated work-related tasks on various product lines
• Lab reliability improvement project ownership
• Collaboration with team members based in Mumbai
• Work alongside the maintenance and technician teams in order to optimize lab efficiency and reliability
• Familiarity with DFMEA and design review processes
• Design specialized test hardware, fixtures and data acquisition equipment
• Collect and analyze test data and prepare reports explaining the results
• Perform in-process inspection of data and notify team of irregularities
• Debug mechanical, electrical and chemical problems with the test equipment
• Incorporate permanent solutions to known test failure modes
• Benchmark test methods inside and outside the industry
• Performs work related tasks according to company guidelines for scheduled maintenance
• B.S. in Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Aerospace Engineering, Physics – Electrical Engineering beneficial
• 0-5 yrs of experience
• Experience in diverse testing environments desired
• Experience using a structured problem solving process
• Exposure to electrochemistry, fuel cell, or battery technology is highly desirable
• Demonstrated “hands on” troubleshooting skills
• Experience or course work requiring use of lab electronics (i.e. multimeter, oscilloscope, breadboard circuits, etc.)
• Demonstrated programming experience is a plus (C, C++, LabVIEW, MATLAB, Visual Basic, etc.)
• Ability to communicate with all levels within the organization in a verbal and written manner - managers, co-workers, support services, electronic communications, et al.
• Organizational and planning skills
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result