Bloom faces an unprecedented opportunity to change the world and the way companies utilize energy. We have recently launched a “game changing” solution called “Always on” that will help companies power their primary business operations without disruption with cleaner, more reliable electricity generated on-site with no combustion. We are looking for a Senior Manager, Environmental Compliance to join our team in one of today’s most exciting technologies.
Location: Ideally this position will be based in San Jose, CA, could be flexible for the right candidate.
Additional comments: Reporting to the Senior Director, Environmental Compliance and EH&S, the Senior Manager is responsible for helping to plan, develop, implement and evaluate worldwide environmental compliance programs for Bloom manufacturing facilities and installations. This role is responsible for helping to establish and carry out the vision, strategy and execution of an Environmental Management System (EMS) and for carrying out other identified strategies for minimizing environmental compliance risks and maintaining compliance with all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations. This position will require some contact with Bloom Energy (BE) customers, environmental regulatory agencies and other entities outside the company on issues of policy and compliance. The role will also require collaboration with other departments within Bloom including Marketing, Sales, Operations, Service, Installations, Quality, Government Affairs and Legal. The ideal candidate will have a strong and well rounded environmental compliance background, having managed compliance for an organization with operations in multiple states or countries, and some knowledge of the environmental and political landscape in key states and/or countries where Bloom operates. An engineering background, particularly an environmental engineering background is a plus.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Support the process of establishing and implementing an EMS including aspects and impacts analysis, establishing objectives and targets, and developing policies and procedures.
• Develop systems and processes for tracking and track key environmental compliance requirements for multiple facilities and installations in several states and countries.
• Coordinate, train and communicate environmental requirements to other departments as required.
• Develop and foster strong relationships with BE stakeholders (internal and external) in the context of managing key environmental compliance issues.
• Strategize with Senior Director, Environmental Compliance and EH&S regarding environmental risk and minimizing the impact of new or changing environmental regulations.
• Provide hands on technical expertise on existing and emerging environmental risks and issues.
• Effectively manage project budgets, work orders and invoices.
Skills and Experience:
• 10 years’ professional experience; minimum 7 years relevant environmental compliance experience.
• Demonstrated experience managing environmental compliance issues in a manufacturing or in another similarly complex environment. California experience is a plus.
• Strong knowledge of local, state and federal laws, ordinances, and regulations. Examples include: the Clean Air Act (CAA), the Resources Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Clean Water Act (CWA), EPA’s Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) rules, the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA), California’s AB 32 and Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) and associated regulations, other state solid waste, hazardous waste, used oil, universal waste and air regulations.
• Familiarity and experience with basic emissions and risk assessment calculation methodologies.
• Demonstrated project management experience, ability to manage complex projects that include both internal and external stakeholders, customers and regulators in an action oriented and efficient manner.
• Experience managing work performed by environmental consultants and contractors.
• Experience with environmental audit programs and procedures.
• Familiarity with basic sustainability concepts and/or experience supporting sustainability reporting, e.g., familiarity with Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) and/or GHG inventory and carbon goal setting methodologies.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Some domestic and potentially international travel will be required.
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy’s mission is to make clean, reliable energy affordable for everyone in the world. The company’s product, the Bloom Energy Server, delivers highly reliable and resilient, always-on electric power that is clean, cost-effective, and ideal for microgrid applications. Bloom’s customers include many Fortune 100 companies and leaders in manufacturing, data centers, healthcare, retail, higher education, utilities, and other industries. For more information, visit www.bloomenergy.com
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.