Our client is a rapidly innovative growing company who specializes in Cyber Security.
They are currently seeking an Application Developer (SR) COBOL in Ashburn, VA.
Our client is looking for an experienced COBOL developer to support a key program in Ashburn, VA. The ideal candidate should have a thorough understanding of agile software development practices and experience delivering deployable software in short sprints. They will work as an integral part of an Agile Scrum team–a highly productive team of technical professionals who thrive on supporting the customer's mission and growth objectives – designing, developing and implementing custom software and database application capabilities for a variety of legacy and modernized systems and applications. The individual will work in close collaboration with other software developers/engineers, stakeholders, and end users within Agile processes.
The ability to be adaptable and to work constructively with a technically diverse team is also crucial. The program emphasizes innovation, and our customer looks for individuals who can bring creative ideas to solve complex problems, both technical and procedural.
Serves as an Agile Scrum team member providing software development and maintenance services for the delivery of releasable software. Responsible for activities associated with delivery of software solutions associated with customer-defined systems and software projects. Basic responsibilities include:
• Designing, developing and implementing custom software and database application capabilities for a variety of legacy and modernized systems with limited oversight
• Acts as a member of a product team supporting teammates and collaborating with a do what it takes attitude to ensure product and team success
• Provide significant improvements to the product(s) being supported
• Active participation in release and sprint planning, artifact creation, sprint testing, regression testing, demonstrations and retrospectives and solution releases
• Support release planning with conceptual design and development / refinement of software engineering guidelines
• Analyzing complex project-related problems and creating innovative solutions involving, scheduling, technology, methodology, tools and solution components
• Ensuring product quality and timeliness of work, providing advice and guidance, resolving problems to meet objectives, and providing periodic performance reports
• Provide input on best practices and procedures
• Developing new and refining existing process to enhance quality and productivity
• Provide mentoring to junior members of the team
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• College degree (B.S.) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Management Systems or a related discipline. Equivalent professional experience will be considered in lieu of degree
• Must be a U.S. Citizen with at least an interim DOD Secret clearance or higher
• Experience with legacy HPUX and Linux support activities
• Professional Experience: at least five (5) years of COBOL related technical experience, with software design, development and implementation in a RedHat Linux Environment
• Experience with object oriented design and development (OODD), Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
• Ability to communicate OODD and SOA principles and best practices
• Experience working on unusually complicated problems and providing solutions that are highly creative and ingenious, exhibiting ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness
• Acts independently to expose and resolve problems
• Experience with continuous integration tools and environments.
• Experience with source code control systems and concurrent development workflows (Git preferred)
• Experience with database design and stored database procedures
• Ability to apply estimation techniques to software development efforts
• Ability to identify and manage risk
• Working knowledge of and ability to assist others in the use of software engineering tools to support process improvement
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong collaboration skills and desire to work within a team
• Understanding of all elements of the software development life cycle, including planning, development, requirements management, CM, quality assurance, and release management
• Highly responsible, team-oriented individual with very strong work ethic and a self-starter
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Technical Certifications, such as MCSD; MCPD; CSM; CSD; OCJD; SCJD.
• Previous experience in a Linux / Oracle environment.
• Experience with AcuCobol
• Experience with developing shell scripts and C programming
• Experience with integration between systems
• Experience with Oracle Forms
• Developing applications utilizing .NET 4.5
• Knowledgeable in using Oracle PL/SQL and Microsoft T-SQL
• Bachelor's in Computer Science or related technical experience
REQUIRED SECURITY CLEARANCE
• Active Secret clearance
Our Client will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.