Our client was established in 1989 and is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia. For over 25 years they have been providing professional world-wide services to support government initiatives worldwide. Their key service areas include technical documentation, training development and delivery, multimedia support, and technical system support.
They are currently looking for a Network and System Virtualization Engineer in Manassas, Virginia.
The Network and System Virtualization Engineer participates in a team environment to design, implement, integrate, and test systems for the United States Navy. This includes integration of virtual technologies/applications while working closely with a focused, multi-disciplinary team of engineers. Ideal candidate will be able to migrate existing hardware into a virtual environment for long-term sustainability and reduce hardware cost/footprint. The ideal candidate will be proactive in identifying and solving tough engineering challenges and focused on delivering high-performance, mission-critical products. Success in this position requires an assertive, confident attitude and a commitment to working as a part of a team to meet critical delivery schedules.
• Design and automate virtual networking environments using open source technologies to support systems development, testing and integration.
• Design and build complex system infrastructure utilizing emulation and container technologies within a virtual networking environment.
• Design and implement virtualization solutions to an existing complex system to reduce hardware footprint/cost.
• Document changes and provide infrastructure status to all stakeholders.
• Troubleshooting/Regression testing in a fast-paced open lab environment.
• Ensure system requirements are met and adhere to infrastructure standards/protocols.
• Collaborate with various product owners, architects, and software/system engineers to understand technical system requirements, business use cases, and application performance considerations.
• Evaluation, recommendation, design, implementation, and ongoing support of the system infrastructure services and to ensure high availability, redundancy, recoverability, and capacity.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in related discipline plus two years of professional experience or at least 5 years related professional experience
• Knowledge of the OpenFlow protocol and implementations
• Knowledge of packet forwarding technology such as Open vSwitch (OVS)
• Knowledge of tunneling technologies like VxLAN
• Experience with VLAN, Ethernet protocols and Wireshark
• Experience with hypervisors technologies using KVM
• Experience with emulators such as QEMU
• Experience with Docker and containers
• Strong experience at the Linux command line
• Strong communication skills with developers to explain results to a multi-disciplinary team of engineers
• Strong attention to detail
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Ability to use and code in LINUX/UNIX proficiently
• Experience working in an Agile/Sprint environment
• Troubleshooting Virtualization/Network/Infrastructure/HW/driver issues
• Familiarity with Navy/Submarine operations is desirable
• Willingness to work 2nd or 3rd shift
• Willingness to work overtime
Must be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a secret level security clearance.
Our Client will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.