The Network and System Virtualization Engineer participates in a team environment to design, implement, integrate, and test systems for the United States Navy. This includes integration of virtual technologies and applications while working closely with a focused, multi-disciplinary team of engineers. Ideal candidate will be able to migrate existing hardware into a virtual environment for long-term sustainability and reduce hardware cost/footprint. The ideal candidate will be proactive in identifying and solving tough engineering challenges and focused on delivering high-performance, mission-critical products. Success in this position requires an assertive, confident attitude and a commitment to working as a part of a team to meet critical delivery schedules.
• Design and automate virtual networking environments using open source technologies to support systems development, testing and integration.
• Design and build complex system infrastructure utilizing emulation and container technologies within a virtual networking environment.
• Design and implement virtualization solutions to an existing complex system to reduce hardware footprint/cost.
• Document changes and provide infrastructure status to all stakeholders.
• Troubleshooting/Regression testing in a fast-paced open lab environment.
• Ensure system requirements are met and adhere to infrastructure standards/protocols.
• Collaborate with various product owners, architects, and software/system engineers to understand technical system requirements, business use cases, and application performance considerations.
• Evaluation, recommendation, design, implementation, and ongoing support of the system infrastructure services and to ensure high availability, redundancy, recoverability, and capacity.
Required Skills and Experience
• Knowledge of the OpenFlow protocol and implementations
• Knowledge of packet forwarding technology such as Open vSwitch (OVS)
• Knowledge of tunneling technologies like VxLAN.
• Experience with VLAN, Ethernet protocols and Wireshark.
• Experience with hypervisors technologies using KVM.
• Experience with emulators such as QEMU
• Experience with Docker and containers.
• Strong experience at the Linux command line.
• Strong communication skills with developers to explain results to a multi-disciplinary team of engineers.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Candidate must be U.S. citizen able to obtain a DoD Secret level security clearance.
Highly Desirable Skills:
• Experience working in an Agile/Sprint environment.
• Troubleshooting Virtualization/Network/Infrastructure/HW/driver issues.
• Familiarity with Navy/Submarine operations is desirable.
• Willingness to work 2nd or 3rd shift.
• Willingness to work overtime.
• Bachelor’s degree in related discipline plus two years of professional experience or at least 5 years related professional experience.
• Task driven with ability to work independently.
• Team player that takes ownership and develops relationships with the team members which fosters team success.
• Bachelors in Network Engineering or related field
• Candidate must be U.S. citizen able to obtain a DoD Secret level security clearance; Active Secret preferred