|Back to Search Results
Certified Medical Assistant - Rush University Medical Center
Rush University Medical Center
Certified Medical Assistant- Various Departments
General Summary: The Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) is responsible for assisting Physicians, Mid-Level Practitioners, and Registered Nurses with the evaluation, management, and treatment of patients in an ambulatory care setting. The Certified Medical Assistant assumes responsibility for maintaining patient flow, the upkeep of exam and treatment rooms, and performing basic skills such as vital signs and point of care testing. In addition, the Certified Medical Assistant will administer intramuscular injections, immunizations, over-the-counter medications under the direction of a Physician. The individual who holds this position exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures, including complying with all Rush University Medical Group Customer Service Standards.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordinates and maintains organized patient flow.
2. Performs patient intake: vital signs, height and weight, reason for visit, interim history, allergies, medication lists, and other interventions as required.
3. Prepares patient for exam based on reason for visit.
4. Prepares and supports patient and assists provider with procedures.
5. Reviews appointment schedules and ensures all patient charts are available for the visit.
6. Reviews patient charts and ensures that all ancillary reports and required paperwork are available to the provider at the time of visit.
7. Performs basic lab and testing procedures according to standards.
8. Performs phlebotomy and EKGs.
9. Administers over-the-counter medications, injections including immunizations as ordered by Physician.
10. Demonstrates appropriate population specific techniques with patients
11. Documents administration of over-the-counter medications and/or other medications in the patient medical record per policy.
12. Cleans, prepares and stocks exam rooms, treatment rooms, and workstations.
13. Calls patients regarding follow-up, test results, medical instruction, and patient education under the direction of a Physician.
14. Calls in medication refills under the direction of a Physician.
15. Documents patient care information in the outpatient medical record according to standards.
16. Assists with scheduling of patient tests, procedures, and follow-up appointments.
17. Assists in the care, cleaning, and sterilization of equipment and instruments.
18. Maintains the inventory of medical and linen supplies.
19. Maintains quality control for equipment.
20. Provides cross coverage to other clinical areas as assigned.
21. Participates in quality improvement projects.
22. Maintains compliance with The Joint Commission (TJC) standards and other regulatory bodies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: