Central Florida Hillel (CFH) is seeking a seasoned Director of Development for South Florida, based in South Florida, who personifies the old dictum that “fundraising is the gentle art of teaching the joy of giving.” The Director of Development ensures that Central Florida Hillel develops the financial resources necessary to sustain and expand ongoing operations and successfully completes fundraising goals. Working closely with the Executive Director & CEO, Development Manager, and volunteer leadership, the Director of Development must have an entrepreneurial spirit and be capable of working both independently as well as part of a team.
The ideal candidate will be a creative and organized individual with demonstrated professional success in networking, face-to-face solicitation, volunteer relations, database management, planned giving, and prospect research. Knowledge of Florida Jewish communities is strongly preferred, but not required. Immersion in the south Florida Jewish Community will be a key factor for success in this position. The Director of Development will join a dynamic staff of 11 at a time of tremendous growth for Central Florida Hillel.
What You’ll Do
The Director of Development will serve as an active member of Central Florida Hillel’s Senior Management Team, calling in, or meeting in person for all Senior Management Team meetings. This individual is responsible for the oversight and implementation of all projects and campaigns tied into TFRD (Total Financial Resource Development).
These responsibilities include:
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospective donors in the south Florida region.
- Prospect donors and potential donors, setting up meetings and making introductions for the Executive Director and CEO for trips to south Florida.
- Support and collaborate with Development Manager through goal setting, project identification and project implementation. Be a thought partner and assist with large projects when needed. Serve as a mentor and teacher.
- Immerse yourself in the south Florida Jewish community by serving as a brand ambassador for Central Florida attending community events, and speaking about the mission whenever possible.
- Travel at least once a month to Orlando to work with the Development Team.
- Collaborate with the Development Manager to assist in the building and cultivation of Alumni and Parents in South Florida.
- Prepare reports, in conjunction with the Development Manager, for our funding partners at Hillel International and others as needed.
- Co- manage grant strategy with the Senior Management Team and assist the Development Manager with the grant processes when needed.
- Manage all additional projects as assigned by the Executive Director and CEO.
What You’ve Accomplished
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5-7 years of direct work experience in fundraising, preferably for Jewish nonprofits
- Proven track record with major gifts solicitation and stewardship.
- Demonstrated experience managing a development team made up of professional and volunteers’ fundraisers.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with a passion for and mastery of the art of networking
- Demonstrated ability to manage up and steer lay leaders to achieve agreed upon fundraising goals and outcomes
- Proven record of success in major gifts solicitation, strategic fundraising planning, donor stewardship, campaign management and grant writing
- Working knowledge of best practices in fundraising principles and methodologies
- Strong planning and organizational skills, ability to prioritize, manage time efficiently, remain flexible and work efficiently under pressure
- Demonstrate ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and accountability while being a strong team player
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office, Excel, Little Green Light, and prospect research tools
- Willingness to travel monthly and attend work functions outside of normal work hours
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Retirement Options, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- A work environment that annually is ranked by Leading Edge as one of the top ten percent in the Hillel world.
About Central Florida Hillel
More on The University of Central Florida (UCF) - Originally founded as Florida Technological University in 1963, the University of Central Florida (UCF) has grown to become the largest undergraduate institution in the United States with over 67,000 students. For five consecutive years, U.S. News and World Report recognized UCF as one of the nation’s top-five up-and-coming schools in its best college rankings. More information is available at http://www.ucf.edu.
More on Central Florida Hillel - With an estimated 6,000 Jewish students, Central Florida Hillel serves not only one of the largest Jewish campus populations in North America, it is also emerging as one of the most exciting Hillel’s in the country. Hillel is located inside a luxurious 600-bed student apartment complex across the street from the University of Central Florida campus. The facility boasts a nautilus workout room, outdoor pool, beach volleyball, a rooftop garden, sun deck with an outdoor movie theater, co-ed sauna and a restaurant. The complex is designed to be a “Google-like” facility that inspires creativity and innovation. The staff very much operate as a family, supporting each other through all that life throws at them, both personally and professionally. Hillel is committed to excellence, innovation, accountability and results. Central Florida Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel. More information is available at www.centralfloridahillel.org.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Central Florida Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.