Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining UD Hillel as the Director of Advancement. You’ll power Hillel by connecting people to our community and raising vital funds needed to drive our mission. You will report to the Executive Director and oversee the overall revenue strategy for UD Hillel’s nearly $1 million budget, including direct response efforts, individual solicitations, events, grants, and sponsorships. UD Hillel’s networks of support are mainly in NY, NJ, PA and DE, therefore, we will consider candidates based in all of those states for this role as long as you are willing to travel at least one to two days a week within the region.
What You’ll Do
- Create and execute a robust development strategy for UD Hillel.
- Work with UD Hillel staff and lay leaders to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of current and future major donors
- Manage our annual cycle of fundraising events and campaigns including the direct mail,
parents/alumni weekends and our annual gala.
- Engage with lay leadership and Development committee/s (alumni, endowment, etc.) to cultivate a culture of giving, develop a leadership pipeline for development efforts, and strengthen their capacity to support our organization.
On a day to day basis you will
- Engage in outreach to parents and alumni, including meetings and support of the UD Hillel Alumni and parent groups.
- Perform prospect research, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of major gift donors on
behalf of UD HILLEL. Work with the Executive Director and other lay leaders to prepare, research and execute their own portfolio of major gifts.
- Administer the development database and ensure data entry and gift processing is precise.
- Prepare grant proposals and reports for individual donors, philanthropic foundations, other
funders and the board.
- Oversee all mail and internet ‐ based solicitations, including the design and production of
- Advise Hillel staff and student leaders on sponsorship opportunities and fundraising initiatives,
including recruiting, training and mobilizing students to partner in Hillel’s development efforts.
- Build partnerships with UD administration and the UD development office, Hillel’s International
Centers, and foundations.
- Develop and promote a culture of philanthropy throughout Hillel, including creativity, teamwork,
accountability and continuous improvement.
- Supervise the Development Associate and operations staff to ensure development operations run
- Forecast fundraising potential for annual budgeting and monitor development expenses.
What You’ve Accomplished
- 5+ number of years in fundraising, development. Experience in higher education, non-profit, marketing, or
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Proven success at:
- Identifying, cultivating, and soliciting gifts above $5,000
- Executing annual fundraising campaigns, including cultivation, stewardship, and
solicitation through in-person, print, and online channels
- Building relationships with leaders within education or nonprofit space
- Management of donor or customer relation databases
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit - things may not go according to plan, but you’ll take risks and learn
from wins as well as losses
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel
- Willingness to facilitate conversations about Judaism and Israel to inspire stakeholders to invest
in our work
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively, successfully managing multiple priorities
- Understanding of current trends, ability to recommend and implement plans to increase donors,
contributions, and identify new opportunities
- Superior oral and written communication skills
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long
Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Travel regionally
- Plenty of Hillel schwag
About University of Delaware Hillel
The Kristol Center for Jewish Life/Hillel is the center of Jewish life on campus at University of Delaware. Approximately 13% of the student population (roughly 2,250 students of nearly 18,000 undergraduate) at the University of Delaware is Jewish. We are a growing staff that includes nine full-time professionals. In the past five years, UD Hillel has doubled student involvement in all program areas and expanded fundraising by 100%; and has been recognized by the University and Hillel for outstanding programs, staff leadership, and strategic growth.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish UD organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
UD HILLEL is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish
students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.Hillel.org/Job and include your resume and cover letter.
New Applicants: Select “Apply for this Position” to submit your application and create an account.
Previous Applicants: Scroll to the “Previous Applicants” section. Please input your e-mail address and password to login, and select “Add to My Jobs” to login and submit your application.