The Director of Jewish Student Life (DJSL), together with the Hillel at Miami team, inspires Jewish students to embrace the full potential of their Jewish future. The DJSL is responsible for working directly with Jewish students to connect, motivate, and empower them to create a vibrant and welcoming Jewish community at Miami. The DJSL strategizes with students to offer creative, intentional, and relevant programming to meet the diverse needs of the Jewish and broader campus community. You will be a part of a caring and enthusiastic staff team, a Hillel that has a strong partnership with the university and a student organization that is respected and highly regarded across campus.
What you'll bring to the job
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3+ years of experience working with young adults in Jewish education, higher education, and/or community development.
- Strong skills in program development and/or event planning.
- Commitment to pluralism, secular meaning-making and worldviews.
- Creative problem-solving techniques and sense of humor.
- Demonstrated skills in communication and facilitation.
- An innovative spirit, excellent organizational skills and comfort working independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to build positive and collaborative relationships with stakeholders.
A typical day might include
- Serving as a resource and advisor to Hillel: Association of Jewish Students Leadership Council and registered student organization, and various Hillel communities (Challah for Hunger, Jewish Greek Council, Miami Students for Israel).
- Developing one-on-one relationships with Jewish students by meeting them where they live, work and/or study, utilizing creative methods to reach and connect them to Jewish life.
- Tracking relationships and determining next steps to involve and connect students.
- Working with students and staff to execute social media campaigns.
- Working with students and staff to help shape, develop and implement a wide range of programs, including Shabbat and holiday celebrations, social opportunities, social justice projects and Jewish learning opportunities.
What you'll get out of it
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
What we're about and Where you'll work
Hillel at Miami University, located in Oxford, Ohio, is the center of Jewish life on campus, about 45 minutes from Cincinnati, Ohio. We serve nearly 1,100 Jewish students on a campus of 16,500 undergraduates and 2,500 graduate students. Hundreds of Jewish students consider Hillel there “home away from home” and utilize the building to study, nap, hang out with friends, hold meetings, participate in a wide variety of programs, enjoy a handful of candy, and even dine together at their favorite meal - Breakfast for Dinner. Hillel’s Association of Jewish Students registered student organization has won numerous awards and is one of the largest and most active on campus.
Hillel and the university are committed to undergraduate education and “Love and Honor” – to creating and nurturing a warm, welcoming and safe environment where all students, staff and faculty are encouraged to learn and grow together.
As the Director of Jewish Student Life, you will be working in the "Best College Town" in America, according to Forbes, and enjoy its mid-west charm and warmth, vibrant local community, Uptown restaurants, shops and park, and nearby Hueston Woods State Park. Cincinnati, with its major league teams, an urban renaissance, shopping, museums and theaters is an easy drive from Oxford where most of our staff live.
And, you will benefit from our uniquely strong partnership with the university and close relationship with many of its key players. The collaborative nature of our local community and the university will allow you to engage in exciting opportunities. You will have the opportunity to grow personally and professionally in this warm, welcoming and supportive campus community.
About Hillel International:
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Miami of Ohio Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter.