THIS IS A WASHINGTON, D.C. BASED POSITION
Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining Hillel at Virginia Tech as the Development Officer. You’ll power Hillel by connecting people to our community and raising vital funds. While living in DC, you will be the voice of a successful Hillel rapidly expanding to meet the needs of the growing Jewish student community at Virginia Tech.
You will positively impact the growing Jewish student community and their vision for Jewish leadership building at Virginia Tech. Your role in shaping Jewish student life is integral to the success of this Hillel and Hillel's overall mission to enrich student life on campus and the world.
What You’ll Do
You will inspire support for major and weekly programing, developing relationships including updates on impact. Long term goal to develop and implement a plan of multi-year funding and program endowments that will ultimately allow successful yearly planning and ability to grow programs. You can share story of a Hillel that went from low level Jewish knowledge and engagement into a destination university for Jewish students.
- Create and execute a robust development strategy for Hillel at Virginia Tech.
- Work with Hillel at Virginia Tech staff and lay leaders to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of current and future major donors
- Manage our annual cycle of fundraising events and campaigns including the direct mail, paren ts/alumni weekends and our annual gala.
- Engage with lay leadership committee/s (alumni, endowment, etc.), Federations, Foundations and Virginia Tech to cultivate a culture of giving, develop a leadership pipeline for development efforts, and strengthen their capacity to support our organization.
- Chair the Board of Directors fundraising subcommittee.
On a day to day basis you will:
- Perform prospect research, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of major gift donorson behalf of Hillel at Virginia Tech.
- Work with the Executive Director and other lay leaders to prepare, research and execute their own portfolio of major gifts.
- Engage in outreach to parents and alumni, including meetings and support of the Virginia Tech Hillel Alumni and parent groups.
- Administer the development database and ensure data entry and gift processing is precise.
- Prepare grant proposals and reports for individual donors, philanthropic foundations, other funders and the board. Oversee all mail and internet‐based solicitations, including the design and production of marketing materials.
- Advise Hillel staff and student leaders on sponsorship opportunities and fundraising initiatives, including recruiting, training and mobilizing students to partner in Hillel’s development efforts.
- Build partnerships with campus administration and the campus development office, Hillel’s International Centers, and foundations.
- Develop and promote a culture of philanthropy throughout Hillel, including creativity, teamwork, accountability and continuous improvement.
- Supervise the Development Associate and operations staff to ensure development operations run smoothly.
- Forecast fundraising potential for annual budgeting and monitor development expenses.
What You’ve Accomplished
- 5+ number of years in fundraising, development. Experience in higher education, marketing, or event planning.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Proven success: major gifts, elevated level of giving, grant portfolio
- Examples of increased overall giving, major gift relationships/numbers
- Identifying, cultivating, and soliciting gifts above $10,000
- Executing annual fundraising campaigns, including cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation through in-person, print, and online channels
- Building relationships with leaders within education or nonprofit space
- Management of donor or customer relation databases
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit - things may not go according to plan, but you’ll take risks and learn from wins as well as losses
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel
- Willingness to facilitate conversations about Judaism and Israel to inspire stakeholders to invest in our work
- Capability to build, lead, empower and coach other fundraisers
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively, successfully managing multiple priorities
- Understanding of current trends, ability to recommend and implement plans to increase donors, contributions, and identify new opportunities
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- marketing and social media skills
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $60,000 to $80,000
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Travel regionally and abroad
- Plenty of Hillel swag
With 2,000 Jewish students on the Virginia Tech campus, Hillel at Virginia Tech boasts a growing program with the opportunity to impact thousands of students, alumni and friends. Blacksburg is a beautiful college town with opportunities for hiking and camping in the beautiful mountains of the blue ridge. Biking and nature is invigorating on the multiple trails.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel at Virginia Tech is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter.