Krause Group is seeking a Finance Manager, Krause Family Office (KFO) to help launch and oversee the financial operations of a six-person family office located in Des Moines, Iowa. The candidate must be a creative and effective problem solver with excellent judgment, great interpersonal skills, a high sense of urgency and unquestioned confidentiality. A successful candidate will help manage the financial affairs of the business owner’s personal family business, including property management, insurance, taxes, investment portfolio, estate planning, family trusts and separate business enterprises. This critical role provides broad financial services including, but not limited to, global and individual cash flow forecasting and planning, (domestic and international) financial and management reporting, tax filing support, capital planning, forecasting, cash management and financial due diligence. A successful candidate will be able to manage the reconciliation of bank accounts, the facilitation of payments and budget management. Additionally, this role will manage relationships with financial advisors and lending institutions and will work in partnership with accounting resources or other support as needed. It also requires the ability to build a financial education program for next-generation shareholders, who may or may not be employed in one of the operating businesses.
What you’ll do
- Provide overall financial support for KFO, including playing a key role in supporting the financial vision and financial strategy.
- Help establish family investment and financial management policies and procedures, and facilitate the family investment committee.
- Benchmark financial best practices with other family offices; propose appropriate new best practices and oversee best practices through approval and implementation.
- Develop robust financial models (cash flows, expense management) to provide comprehensive financial insights and recommendations.
- Provide investment planning and analysis for direct investments, and alternative investments for trusts and non-profit foundations.
- Coordinate financial positions to effectively manage debt and banking relationships.
- Establish and manage processes for shareholder financial needs including operating an intra-family bank as needed.
- Provide financial support and management for shareholders’ broad and diverse portfolio of assets.
- Ensure shareholders’ assets and personal financial information are protected and internal controls are strong.
- Manage estate planning and share detailed knowledge of family estate planning activities. Ensure that gifting activities are performed timely and in accordance with legal requirements.
- Provide topical learning content relevant to operating businesses and shareholder investments for shareholder newsletter and periodic meetings.
- Develop a custom financial education plan for each next-generation shareholder.
- Collaborate with private bank to develop custom personal financial statements, personal financial plans, and personal investment support for each next-generation shareholder.
- Provide investment analysis and decision-making coaching to shareholders related to their personal, philanthropic, and trust assets.
- Support entire KFO team with other projects, as necessary.
What we’re looking for
- Outstanding financial modeling skills and experience in creating pro forma analysis for estate planning initiatives.
- Direct or indirect, single or multi-family office or related experience required including: financial education for family members, family governance and financial protocols, philanthropy, personal financial management, budgeting, expense management, estate planning and insurance.
- Driven, self-starter with detail-oriented personality and strong work ethic.
- Strength in developing internal and external relationships; managing third party service providers; comfortable developing senior relationships with lawyers, accountants, family office associates and professional advisors, investment managers and other relevant individuals such as community leaders, board members, etc.
- Experience in formulating recommendations and/or solutions to complex issues. Critical thinking to identify, assess and develop potential solutions from a complex fact pattern or situation.
- Strong client service skills with experience consulting with executives and collaborating with their advisors.
- Comfortable in a dynamic, fast-paced environment; adaptable and learns quickly.
- Adept at multi-tasking and prioritizing; highly organized.
- Proficient with Microsoft office tools.
Other key requirements
- A minimum 5 years of experience with a family office in roles with increasing responsibility.
- Experience with top-rated Family Office software platforms & tools.
- Communication: Delivers clear, effective communication and listens to others.
- Conceptual/Systems Thinking: Recognizes patterns, trends, themes, and connections in information to develop innovative ideas and solutions.
- Constructive Engagement: Expresses ideas and disagreements, constructively resolves conflict, and encourages others to do the same.
- Customer Orientation: Meets the expectations and needs of internal and external customers.
- Decision Making: Makes good decisions in a timely manner.
- Empowerment: Takes initiative and solves problems.
- Talent Development: Maximizes potential and improves overall performance.
- Influence: Proactively builds relationships and influences others.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving: Accurately assesses problems and effectively and efficiently arrives at solutions.
- Strategic Thinking: Understands the current state and is able to visualize the ideal state and how to achieve it.
About Krause Group
Krause Group is a Midwest U.S. based parent company comprising a diverse set of domestic and international businesses with over 5,000 associates. These companies include Kum & Go, L.C., a convenience retail chain with more than 400 stores in 11 states—Solar Transport, the Des Moines Menace F.C., and a significant commercial real estate portfolio. Internationally, Krause Group is parent to the historic Enrico Serafino and Vietti wineries based in Piedmont, Italy.
Krause Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer