TPIRC is a non-profit clinical care and research center that focuses on the development of cutting-edge, individualized treatment protocols for rare and orphan diseases utilizing comprehensive diagnostic tools and patient-driven research. Our treatment programs are one of a kind with unmatched success rates. Our team is rapidly growing and we are looking for a Food Technician to support our mission.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Understand TPIRC’s mission and how the Food Lab supports that mission
- Thorough understanding of all areas of the Food Lab, including hand dosing, peanut dosing, patch production, gelatin production, and lid/label/bag production
- Support the clinic’s food dosing efforts by preparing measured food doses for patients to take home or for same day food challenges, requiring proper use of a balance and measuring tools for high degree of accuracy
- Prepare foods for dosing by grinding solid foods such as nuts or legumes down to powder form (millimeter size granules)
- Properly label measured doses; using diligence and attention to detail to avoid mislabels or possible cross contamination of foods
- Accurately measure doses according to provider’s orders
- Fulfill food dose orders in a timely manner ahead of production schedule
- Peanut dosing: constitute liquid peanut mixture and measure doses using pipette and vials
- Track and manage food inventory
- Monitor expiration dates of stored foods and prepared doses
- Maintain a clean and organized work and overall lab area throughout the day. Properly and thoroughly clean workstations, scales and other supplies in between different food/nut type preparations to eliminate the risk of cross contamination
- Perform quality/safety checks for each dose prepared
- Patch production: oversee preparation of patch trays by preparing antigens for patch testing per providers orders. Follow standard protocols for allergy patch testing.
Standard Operating Procedures & Workflow
- Contribute ideas for workflow improvements that will increase efficiency and reduce costs
- Develop standardized operating procedures for all food protein extraction to allow training of further staff/technicians in the process
- Communicate and work effectively with areas that impact Food Lab operations, including Clinic and Data teams
Requirements & Qualifications
- Prior experience in nutraceuticals, medical foods or food safety laboratory type environments is preferred
- High attention to detail is required
- Ability to complete repetitive tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention through each process
- Aptitude to perform basic math, understanding of measurements; ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, unit conversions.
- Ability to understand the critical risks associated with measurement errors, labeling errors or cross contamination.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Ability to think and plan in a logical sequential order.
- Associates Degree or higher preferred with coursework in the Sciences or completion of pharmacy technician certification from an accredited school or similar
- Valid Food Handler’s card