Thornburg Investment Management is a privately owned global investment firm offering a range of solutions for investors around the world. Founded in 1982 and headquartered in Santa Fe, NM, we manage U.S. mutual funds, separate accounts for high-net-worth investors and institutional accounts, and UCITS funds for non-U.S. investors.
At Thornburg, it’s more than what we do; it’s how we do it. A flexible perspective built on collaboration and cross-pollination of ideas, an unconventional approach to portfolio construction, and a reputation of integrity are important aspects of how we do business. Far from the groupthink of Wall Street, Thornburg is positioned to offer a different point of view and a broader frame of reference in our global search for relative value opportunities.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
The primary responsibilities of the Regional Associate are to support the team’s business-related activities in sourcing new business and fostering relationships with institutional prospects, with a primary focus on corporate and public plan pension sponsors, as well as endowments/foundations and health care plans. The Regional Associate will develop and maintain relationships with institutional consultants and service Thornburg’s existing client base within a specified region in the US. The Institutional Regional Associate will also facilitate market intelligence projects in support of sales team activities and, as appropriate, help coordinate the group’s cross-territory activities along with the internal communications related to those activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assist in managing the sales process to grow institutional AUM:
• Support the identification and cultivation of new business prospects, helping to initiate and develop new business opportunities
• Assist in leading new business meetings and associated strategy development/preparation, and helping to close sales
• Plan on-site new business-related meetings. When appropriate, the institutional Regional Associate may be asked to play an active participant role in the meetings through facilitation activities with internal stakeholders.
• Act as secondary contact for Thornburg’s larger consultant and client relationships in support of the Regional Director and Managing Director.
• Continual servicing/enhancement of existing consultant and client relationships
• Develop strong relationships with internal partners (investments, compliance, operations, and marketing) to facilitate best in class service and issue resolution.
• Utilize FactSet, Advent/APX, and Bloomberg to extract portfolio, security level, and market data to prepare analysis of portfolio performance and characteristics for internal and external use, including attribution analysis, “cheat sheets” and other ad hoc reports as needed
• Assist with a portion of the scheduling for the Regional Director and Managing Director.
• Screen for new institutional sales opportunities/mandates via various subscription services
• When appropriate, meet face-to-face with existing and prospective clients to discuss investment strategies. Act as a liaison between the investment team and the institutional consultant and plan sponsor channels.
• Represent Thornburg’s institutional group at conferences and various client events.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND FORMAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
• A solid understanding of financial markets and/or strong interest and aptitude
• Ability to work and interface with clients on time sensitive request
• Active FINRA Series 7 & 63/66 required
• Bachelor’s Degree required; Business or Finance Degree preferred
• Progress toward CFA designation a plus
• Previous experience in financial services a strong plus
Presence and aptitude required to effectively interact with sophisticated institutional investors:
• Capacity to effectively manage and deliver on multiple tasks/projects
• Ability to identify internal and external client needs/expectations and propose solutions, leveraging strong active listening and related skill sets
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to new internal/external client information and situations
• Sound judgment, problem solving and organizational skills
• Highly effective communication (verbal and written), collaboration and influencing skills
• Driven to achieve firm and client priorities, with motivation, enthusiasm, perseverance and resilience as hallmark personal traits
• Strong interpersonal skills that enable effective initial rapport-building with internal and external clients
• Ability to establish genuine, collaborative long-term relationships with internal and external clients
• Demonstrates high ethical standards in all interactions
• Evident investment market acumen and interest
• High level of accountability and drive
• Ability to work at a computer for an extended period of time.
• Position is located in Santa Fe, NM - ability to travel; up to 25% of the time.
Santa Fe is the capital of New Mexico. Founded in 1610 and nicknamed “The City Different,” Santa Fe captures hearts and minds with its museums, restaurants, theater, opera, and adobe-style architecture. With an average of over 300 sunny days per year and picturesque landscape, it’s no wonder that outdoor activities such as skiing and hiking in “The Land of Enchantment” attract visitors from around the world.
Thornburg believes that diversity and inclusivity are vital to positive long-term success for our strategies and the firm’s broader business outcomes. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. The firm provides annual progress reports to the investment management team, shareholders, and executive management to highlight multiple diversity and inclusivity metrics and continually work to bring awareness to the importance of this issue.