Thornburg Investment Management is a privately owned global investment firm offering a range of solutions for investors around the world. Founded in 1982 and headquartered in Santa Fe, NM, we manage U.S. mutual funds, separate accounts for high-net-worth investors and institutional accounts, and UCITS funds for non-U.S. investors.
At Thornburg, it’s more than what we do; it’s how we do it. A flexible perspective built on collaboration and cross-pollination of ideas, an unconventional approach to portfolio construction, and a reputation of integrity are important aspects of how we do business. Far from the groupthink of Wall Street, Thornburg is positioned to offer a different point of view and a broader frame of reference in our global search for relative value opportunities.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION: The Quantitative Analyst position will be responsible for designing, developing, implementing, and maintaining statistical models using client and product data that will deliver new insights to key business decision makers, provide better service for our clients, drive increased revenue, and retain existing assets. The position will help drive efforts to increase data driven decision making across Thornburg through effective communication and efficient use of available analytical tools and infrastructure. The position will also help drive efforts to evaluate existing data sets, tools, infrastructure and processes as well as recommend possible enhancements. Other specific duties may include but are not limited to:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Obtain an understanding of key business drivers at Thornburg and the asset management industry.
· Design, develop, implement and maintain statistical models to deliver actionable insights to the stakeholders.
· Work cross-departmentally with key stake holders in Distribution and Marketing to understand the key analytic requirements
· Develop and optimize over time the reporting mechanism(s) needed to deliver on-time and accurate actionable information to all stakeholders.
· Analyze and interpret data, by generating a hypothesis, selecting appropriate analysis techniques, modeling the data, and interpreting the results to answer Thornburg’s toughest questions.
· Partner with business stakeholders to understand their unique analytical requirements and assist in the development of metrics, reports, dashboards, visualization and the design of schemas and data flows to enable them.
· Assist the Manager of the Distribution and Marketing Data Intelligence team in determining project priorities, resolve operating issues, and drive usage of the most advanced tools available.
· Partner with IT to ensure operational effectiveness for new data sources in our data warehouse/data lake.
· Measure results and effectiveness of strategic initiatives intended to drive sales lift and asset retention via targeted recommendations.
· Develop a standard feedback process for all stakeholders to ensure the delivered analytics and insights meet stated requirements and stake holder satisfaction
· Stay up to date on academic and industry trends and incorporate new findings into existing models
· Assist the data analytics team with ad-hoc analytics requests as necessary
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND FORMAL REQUIREMENTS:
· Experience in the financial services industry, both asset management and wealth management are highly desired; a detailed understanding of the sales business process from lead generation, opportunity pipeline management, sales forecasting, territory loading and client servicing models
· Considerable experience working with large datasets from multiple sources. Experience with 3rd party data sets such as WalletShare, Advisor Practice Analysis, Morningstar or Discovery Data a plus
· A track record of providing compelling insights based on data
· Excellent data analysis and documentation skills
· Advanced understanding of various statistical analysis/machine learning algorithms and assessing model performance.
· Exceptional organization skills, attention to detail, and ability to maintain focus in a fast-paced environment
· 5+ years experience in an advanced analytics role. Education can be substituted for experience.
· Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills, both written and oral. Comfortable with ambiguity and managing to tight deadlines
· Experience using analytics or business intelligence tools. Experience with SQL, R, Python, Power BI or other BI reporting tools a plus.
· Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint. Proficiency in VBA is a plus.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Highly motivated self-starter
· Ability to listen and assimilate requirements
· Ability to work cross-departmentally
· Analytical and naturally curious
· Effective written and oral communication skills – particularly taking advanced analytics concepts to “tell them the time, not how the watch was built”
· Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
Santa Fe is the capital of New Mexico. Founded in 1610 and nicknamed “The City Different,” Santa Fe captures hearts and minds with its museums, restaurants, theater, opera, and adobe-style architecture. With an average of over 300 sunny days per year and picturesque landscape, it’s no wonder that outdoor activities such as skiing and hiking in “The Land of Enchantment” attract visitors from around the world.
Thornburg believes that diversity and inclusivity are vital to positive long-term success for our strategies and the firm’s broader business outcomes. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. The firm provides annual progress reports to the investment management team, shareholders, and executive management to highlight multiple diversity and inclusivity metrics and continually work to bring awareness to the importance of this issue.