DATE: January 9, 2020
FROM: Human Resources
POSITION: Constable (FT) – University Safety
Effective immediately: (FT) Constable in the University Safety Department– Wilmington University, New Castle.
Requirements: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Associate’s degree is preferred. Related coursework or specialized training beyond high school is also preferred. COPT certification or State Constable Licensee preferred to include certification in Firearms. If hired, candidate must maintain certifications in firearms, Taser, CPR accordance with the Delaware Board of Examiners for Constables and Wilmington University standards. Candidate must also obtain and maintain a Delaware Conceal Carry license or LEOSA certification. Successful candidate must undergo drug testing, physical exam and either an MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) or a PAI (Personal Assessment Inventory) evaluation administered by a practitioner of the University’s choice. Candidate must possess excellent communication, customer service and organizational skills. Must be detail-oriented and able to work with diverse populations. Must be self-directed and able to make decisions independently. Must be committed to a team-building approach as well as maintaining an effective working relationship with all employees. Must be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office. Must have a working knowledge of the DELJIS System, RMS, Video Surveillance Systems and/or other web-based training systems utilized by the department. The ability to maintain professionalism and confidentiality in any situation is a must.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Meet and maintain requirements for being certified as a Constable (State of Delaware) as established by Delaware Code Chapter 27, and Section 2705 and other related sections.
• Exercise the powers of arrest and detention at all Wilmington University campuses, when and where necessary.
• Works closely with law enforcement agencies of jurisdiction.
• Responsible for the safe storage of University issued firearm while off-duty.
• Responsible to patrol campus facilities, providing visible security coverage during hours of operation.
• Operates safety vehicles assigned to the department.
• Incumbent will monitor safety desks, telephones, radios, security/fire alarms and CCTV cameras.
• Responds to calls for service for students, faculty, staff and visitors, as necessary.
• Investigate and complete written reports in accordance with department policies for incidents/accident.
• Operates DELJIS, Report Executive Records Management System, Access Control Systems, ID Card Production, Public Announcement System, Lockdown System, Camera’s and other assigned Safety Department technology.
• Ensure compliance with all Clery Act guidelines and follow department’s standard operating procedures and policies.
• Monitor and assist with traffic control at all campuses.
• Report safety issues/hazards to appropriate safety supervisors and/or proper departments, as necessary.
• Perform other duties, which may be assigned by the University Safety Operations Manager.
Hours of Employment: There will be day and evening shifts also including weekends should the institution be in operation and campus activities require Constable presence. (Candidate must be flexible with their hours to meet the needs of the department and/or the University). Travel may be required to different campuses for work assignment on rotating or permanent basis.
Benefits: Wilmington University offers an excellent benefit package that includes Medical and Dental, Vision, Retirement Plan (403b), Dependent Care Assistance, Life & Disability Insurances and Education benefits.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: Posted and filled as positions become available.