Data Visualization Designer / Developer (project; work from home)
|Company Order Number:||1464|
|# of openings:||1|
Brainstorm Creative Resources is looking to engage a Data Visualization Designer / Developer on a work-from-home project with a timeline of two to four weeks from kick-off to completion. Our client is an internationally recognized and well respected public policy organization based in Washington, DC.
We are looking to work with one individual who can both design AND develop/build the data visualization end product. However, we are also interested in hearing from talented designers (so, non-developers) who have significant, demonstrable experience conceptualizing, creating and producing interfaces for interactive data visualizations. If necessary, it may be possible for our client to complete development with another vendor. Overall, we will favor candidates who offer maximum availability to deliver high a quality work product quickly.
The project will be focused on creating a high-impact, intuitive visualization on worker transitions and place-based economic recovery from the COVID-19 crisis. The goal of this interactive visualization is to help city leaders and firms redeploy displaced workers and staff crucial vacancies.
Building off of an existing prototype visualization and utilizing a database of occupational transitions, the Data Visualization Designer / Developer will create accessible charts, graphs, Sankey diagrams, or other interactive tools to show potential employment paths for workers who are vulnerable to job dislocation or insecurity due to COVID-19. S/he will also use our client organization’s city-level data on industrial and occupational staffing patterns; projected industry growth and decline; and demographic segmentation to show which industries and workers are most vulnerable in a given metropolitan area.
REQUIRED AND PREFERRED SKILLS:
* Examples of your design/development work consisting of links to multiple online, completed data visualizations. Example projects should include professional work products produced for non-profit organizations or corporate or media enterprises;
* Familiarity with data processing and management with a scripting language such as R or Python;
* Familiarity with vector graphics editing software, such as Adobe Illustrator or InDesign;
* Experience creating data visualization themes, styles, and branding;
* Experience working with collaborative version control software, especially Git and GitHub;
* Strong written and oral communications skills;
* Preferred: some knowledge of statistical analysis or data science methods;
* Preferred: Experience with online mapping libraries (especially Mapbox) and experience GIS programs such as ArcGIS or QGIS.
All work can be done remotely -- i.e. from home. You will not need to visit the client’s downtown, Washington, DC offices. Typically we would suggest that you are welcome to visit the client's offices for meetings and/or to work there to improve communications and collaboration. Given the current status of stay-at-home orders throughout our region, on-site visits will not be possible.
We are seeking well qualified individuals who are interested in the following situation:
(1) project work that will commence as soon as an appropriate vendor is selected;
(2) which can be done 100% from a remote location (your home, etc.);
(3) offering flexible work hours;
(4) with a minimum tally of at least 20 hours per week;
(5) and a target completion date of April 30.
Brainstorm Creative Resources strives to pay competitively. We often post salary and/or pay rate ranges within our job descriptions in an effort to help potential applicants self-select correctly. In this case we have chosen not to do so because the competitive rate range for data visualization design/development services varies widely. We have been recruiting and hiring creative professionals in the metro-Washington, DC area for nearly twenty years and we discuss compensation with members of the regional creative community every day. We encourage well qualified individuals all along the experience timeline to inquire about this role and will be glad to dig in deeper regarding rates during direct conversations with the most well qualified individuals.
Brainstorm Creative Resources is a recruiting and staffing firm that has been focused on placing creative and editorial professionals into freelance and full-time positions with Washington, DC-area employers since 2003.
If you are reading this job description at our Application Portal please follow the instructions included below. If you are reading this job description elsewhere please visit us at http://www.brainstormresources.com. Within our website you can click anywhere you see "Find Work" buttons or text to view all currently open positions. Please follow these steps when you apply:
1) Closely read the complete job description to ensure that you are a terrific fit for the opportunity.
2) If you are a returning applicant please enter your e-mail address and password, and then add the opportunity to your "My Jobs" list.
3) If you have not applied with Brainstorm previously, click the "Apply For This Position" button.
4) During the application process please make sure to:
-> Provide all details requested as you are completing your personal profile (including links to sample work online),
-> Upload a resume and cover letter.
We expect all interested parties to support their application and salary request with a cover letter that clearly indicates their fitness for the position. Applicants who inquire without a brief cover letter/note, resume and/or work samples should not expect to receive a response. Brainstorm Creative Resources and the hiring organization are EEO employers.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results