The primary role of the VP of Commercial Real Estate Finance (CREF) will be to lead, working closely with the SVP of CREF, the member engagement activities for MBA’s commercial real estate finance membership, including the management of member groups, the governance and engagement within member groups, and the development of member engagement offerings, events and activities. Core objectives include achieving excellent member retention, delivering strong member value, and developing high quality content for member meetings and offerings, including MBA’s signature CREF Convention & Expo and the CREF Servicing & Technology Conference.
- Develops and executes CREF member engagement strategy across CREF sectors, working with direct reports and colleagues. Develops initiatives aimed at enhancing and increasing member engagement, particularly among focused member constituencies and sectors and among the range of functional roles at member companies.
- Strategically works with members to enhance MBA’s leadership role to advance member business interests and acts in a dynamic fashion to deliver value to members in an evolving market.
- Serves as MBA's expert staff member on one or more areas related to commercial real estate finance, such as origination, underwriting, securitization, servicing and/or asset management.
- Builds and maintains strong professional working relationships across member firms, industry stakeholders, and colleagues across departments at MBA.
- Advises and supports membership renewal process and value proposition. Strategically identifies and recruits new member sectors and companies, as appropriate.
- Plans and implements the content and speakers for the CREF Convention & Expo and the CREF Servicing & Technology Conference. In coordination with the MBA Meetings Department and other groups, develops and manages project plans including tasks and deadlines, as well as the scheduling of business meetings at conferences. Works with SVP to coordinate development of talking points for MBA leadership.
- Working with direct reports and the SVP of CREF, plans and implements content and speakers for member councils, roundtables, working groups and committees. Manages project plans for member groups and executes them in partnership with colleagues and members. Works with SVP of CREF to form and launch new groups, events and offerings, as appropriate.
- Trains and manages direct reports. Cultivates talent and encourages excellence in team members. Provides thoughtful and constructive performance feedback and evaluations. Encourages team-oriented culture, strong work ethic and high standards of compliance.
- Partners with other MBA departments to develop offerings and enhance the value proposition for MBA CREF members, including Education and Meetings/Conferences.
- Identifies strategic areas for industry standards and best practices to serve members. Executes on those priorities as appropriate.
- Provides input and leverages expertise on legislative and regulatory issues in the commercial lending and servicing arenas as needed, and assists the SVP of CREF and the Associate Vice President of CREF Policy in this regard. Keeps apprised and informs members of important market and policy developments affecting commercial real estate. Assists in substantive analysis and communication of policy proposals.
- Serves as liaison to other real estate trade groups as appropriate and explores appropriate partnership opportunities to enhance MBA’s role and member value.
This position description should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility required to be performed by an incumbent in this job. Incumbents are required to perform other functions, as assigned.
Minimum of 15 years of experience required. Extensive knowledge of commercial real estate finance and industry experience strongly preferred. Demonstrated strategic, analytical and organizational skills necessary. Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and attention to detail required. Established contacts with commercial real estate finance companies strongly preferred. Graduate degree in business or finance preferred.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.