The incumbent provides professional oversight and independent judgment in the site sourcing, hotel and vendor contracting, scheduling, member relations and on-site management of specific meetings. The Meeting Planner also assists the Vice President on special projects and activities as assigned by the Associate Vice President.
- Works with conference planners, colleagues, members and vendors to oversee the distribution, assignment, payment processing and release of affiliate space and suites across conferences while maximizing revenues against budget. Manages affiliate relationships to help leverage their participation and engagement with MBA through ongoing communications and outreach.
- Works with conference planners, colleagues, members and vendors to oversee securing courtesy room blocks. Manage agreements with members. Check with vendors if special accommodations are needed. Work with members to manage the receipt of their rooming lists and to ensure guestrooms are available. Work with housing lead to input and cross check the entering of the rooming lists. Confirm with member the rooming list is entered accurately. This will often fall in line with affiliate relationship management as there is frequent cross-over.
- Works with conference planners to develop and distribute hotel RFPs for future meetings and develop shortlists. Ensures all information is received and correct in a timely fashion.
- Works with internal client to develop and distribute hotel RFPs for future meetings, develop shortlists and negotiate hotel contracts on their behalf in the interest of MBA. Ensures all information is received and correct in a timely fashion. Counsel internal clients on industry best practices. Manage project plans and ensure consistent communication with clients regarding project milestones and deliverables.
- Maintain detailed per night room block history and food and beverage spend reports for all MBA conferences and meetings to ensure accurate RFP distribution.
- Assist conference planners with peer review of resumes, signs, F&B orders and logistical documents.
- Work with Meetings and Marketing on assisting with influencer meeting promotion projects.
- Provides necessary support to ensure an efficient and well-executed conference.
- Travel and support on-site management of registration procedures, accommodations, meeting rooms, equipment and supplies, audio/visual requirements, meal functions, etc. when assigned for at least one conference per year. Supports AVP in their role as principal liaison with the hotel staff and all vendor and supplier contacts. Utilizes independent judgment to carry out assignments and activities. Expected amount of travel per year: 5%
- Works closely with colleagues in the Meetings Department to insure successful integration of all elements required for the successful implementation of meeting activities.
- Assist with research on facilities, conduct site visits as required and help refine vendor contracts for meetings as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
College degree preferred combined with three to five years of experience in the management of medium-large meetings. Additional experience working in hotels, specifically with contract negotiations, is beneficial. Strong organizational, time management and diplomatic skills are a must. Must be results driven and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment in a composed manner. Incumbent must possess excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to travel and be comfortable in large group settings. Customer service and team orientation skills are essential. Additionally, must be computer literate with an understanding of and the ability to use Microsoft Office products (Word and Excel), and other meetings-specific software helpful. Additionally, the ability to understand and use database software to process and maintain information is helpful. Ability to organize, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks with attention to detail in a timely manner.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Critical success factors for this position include the following:
- Management capability: Planning/Organizing/Budgeting
- Contract negotiation skills
- Customer Service/Member Focus
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Association/Industry/Job/Technical Knowledge
- Initiative and Creativity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.