Every firm has a culture – the values, beliefs, methodology, attitudes and standards that reflect an organization’s DNA. But the truly inspiring firms – the game-changers, the industry leaders and the disruptors – have cultures that propel them to innovate and stand out. At Brown Advisory, we aim to be one of those inspired firms. Over the years, we have purposefully built and nurtured our client-first culture.
Brown Advisory is an independent investment management firm committed to delivering a combination of first-class performance, strategic advice and the highest level of client service with offices in Austin, Baltimore, Boston, the Carolinas, Delaware, London, New York, Singapore, Virginia and Washington, D.C. The firm’s institutional and private clients are based in 50 states and more than 39 countries and territories and are served by over 650 colleagues worldwide, all of whom are equity owners of the firm.
Brown Advisory is currently seeking a professional, energetic and detail oriented individual to fill the Accounting Manager position within our Baltimore office location with primary responsibility for monthly financial reporting, with a specific focus on accounting for our international operations and all legal entity reporting requirements. This position will be an integral part of the accounting, financial reporting and internal controls for our growing business. This position is designed to allow for rewarding career growth and opportunities for advancement within the accounting function of a global independent investment management and strategic advisory firm.
We expect the Accounting Manager to:
• Be thorough and accurate. You will be tasked with ensuring data integrity, identifying and addressing process improvements in our financial operations, and developing solutions. You will have strong organizational skills allowing you to manage multiple priorities while maintaining exceptional attention to detail.
• Be proactive. You are eager to contribute and learn, ask lots of questions, and provide solutions before we even know there are issues. You are excited about making ongoing process improvements.
• Be a natural problem-solver. You identify challenges, analyze the root causes, seek to understand rationale behind current processes and only then propose solutions and tools to help staff.
• Work independently and follow tasks through to completion and meet commitments, proactively seeking guidance as necessary.
• Have a positive attitude and the desire to provide impeccable support to Brown Advisory team members. You will regularly interact with team members within and outside the accounting team, providing high levels of customer service. You have an ability to communicate directly, concisely and with a balanced tone, on paper and verbally, formally and informally.
Duties and Responsibilities of this position include, but not limited to:
Financial Statement Preparation
• Manage year-end financial statement audits and other regulatory examination requests for global financial reporting and compliance requirements. Through research and documentation of reporting requirements responsible for submission of reporting in various states and foreign jurisdictions.
• Responsible for all aspects of international accounting, including foreign currency translation and consolidation of foreign entities according to IFRS & US GAAP.
Legal Entity Accounting & Reporting
• Manage and direct colleagues responsible for accounting functions and perform daily accounting processes, transactions and reconciliations.
• Assist in the review and preparation of journal entries and month-end reconciliations.
• Oversee the development and accounting for our transfer pricing policies, corporate allocations and intercompany balance activities.
• Develop understanding of compensation programs and their impact on the global colleague base and international financial reporting.
• Partner cross-functionally to establish new entities and banking.
• Assist Treasury in set up and monitoring of international bank accounts, including bank balances and projected sources and uses of cash.
• Approve and review of accounts payable transactions for accurate GL coding and review third party payments.
Financial Statement Analysis
• Support the FP&A team with acquiring information and preparing any needed information for performance analysis and results follow-up.
• Ownership of entity level cash projections to support regulatory reporting in collaboration with the finance and treasury teams.
• Support management with revenue reporting and other key performance indicators as needed.
• Support ad hoc financial data requests that drive key company decision making.
Board of Director Reporting
• Present financial results to management and the Board of Directors.
• Prepare and review quarterly board reporting package.
• Assist in reviewing the financial data in reporting presentations and quarterly updates.
• Responsible for developing, mentoring, training and assessing team performance.
• Lead, direct and prioritize the work of the team; provide training to accounting team members and aide with problem resolution.
• Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
• Review facts and data, using sound judgment, to arrive at the most effective solution.
• Continually assess and improve accounting and reporting processes.
• Foster a culture of integrity and inclusion by way of example.
• Self-motivated / energetic individual with aptitude for progression.
Technical Job Requirements
• 5 + years’ relevant experience with financial accounting close and reporting including general ledger close, journal entries, foreign currency accounting, transfer pricing, corporate allocations and intercompany accounts. Demonstrated awareness of the challenges and topics associated with setting up and administering foreign operations from a multinational organization perspective.
• Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting, Finance or related course of study.
• CPA License required.
• Experience with legal entity accounting and intercompany transactions.
• Comfortable working in a high-growth, fast paced environment with the ability to work extended hours as needed to meet with non-US colleagues and third parties.
• An inquisitive and mature mindset will be beneficial in this role. Being able to get into the detail but also being able to step back from the detail and analyze the bigger picture will be key to developing your career.
• Experience with international reporting (Ireland, United Kingdom, & Singapore FRS), including practical application preferred.
• Experience with Broker-Dealer entities preferred.
• Strong attention to detail, excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Customer service oriented, especially for internal teams.
• Ability to set priorities, multi-task and recognize trends in data.
• Compile meaningful business reports to present at international board meetings.
• Excellent computer skills, particularly in navigating detailed system-generated source reports, downloading and manipulating data, and Excel.
• Strong system skills and comfort with new systems including documenting testing requirements.
At Brown Advisory we offer a competitive compensation package, including full benefits.
• Wellness program participation incentive
• Financial wellness program
• Gym membership discounts
• Fitness event fee reimbursement
• Corporate gym membership discounts
• Colleague Assistance Program
• Telemedicine Program (for those enrolled in Medical)
• Adoption Benefits
• Daycare late pick-up fee reimbursement
• Basic Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
• Voluntary Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
• Short Term Disability
• Paid parental leave
• Group Long Term Disability
• Pet Insurance
• 401(k) (50% employer match up to IRS limit, 4 year vesting)
Brown Advisory is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.