The Quality Supervisor is responsible for developing people and processes to uphold Sierra Nevada’s Quality Vision: “Our products and services should exceed peoples’ expectations. We continually strive to improve quality and consistency in our products, focus on innovation, and provide the highest levels of service.” This position leads, plans, executes, and directs the daily work assignments of quality technicians and works cross-functionally within and outside of the brewery to coordinate all activities which relate to product quality. Reporting to the Quality Manager, this role is accountable for prioritizing and delivering quality results.
- Trains, coaches, mentors, supports, develops, and engages team members to perform at their highest ability level
- Leads quality and seeks to protect and elevate the brand; coaches and influences others to do the same
- Demonstrates knowledge of core products and processes to get results and anticipates obstacles, taking action to prevent or minimize their impact
- Maintains product quality through adherence to good manufacturing practices, product specifications, and quality procedures; provides the brewery with support, training, and guidelines to ensure compliance with quality standards
- Has a relentless focus on internal customer service (brewing, packaging, etc.) and understands how to create value from the customer’s point of view to drive quality
- Assures the quality department provides reliable and impactful data by establishing superior equipment/instrumentation care and calibration, accurate and precise training/documentation, rigor and routine to technician testing and data review, and appropriate escalation
- Tactfully organizes “behind the scenes” work such as:procurement of supplies, budgeting, staffing schedules, specification database management, SPC charts and actions
- Leads with safety as a core value, looks for opportunities to build safety consciousness and promote safe work practices, models the proactive behavior of providing solutions to safety issues and supports the Hidden Danger Program
- Proactively identifies and prioritizes improvements that drive quality and minimize waste and inefficiency without compromising or missing the day-to-day needs of the business/department; coaches technicians and other personnel to do the same
- Fosters an environment of continuous improvement through the lens of the Sierra Nevada Vision & Values (Prioritizing quality, integrity, people, sustainability, and community)
- Collaborates with other brewery departments and industry groups; productively contributes to the growth and development of the craft brewing community at large
- Responsible for the development, optimization, and improvement of analytical methodology, SOP maintenance and development, sampling/analysis schedule, calibration, and maintenance programs, etc.
- Responsible for team supervision including but not limited to: interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems and ensures best safe work practices, safety policies and procedures are being implemented
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university in science, analytical, or food related discipline or an equivalent amount of food quality experience required
- Three (3) years of production lab experience required, experience in brewing preferred
- One (1) year of supervisory and/or management experience required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to learn, execute, and train on the fundamental job requirements of the quality technician
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Organized & capable of developing process control systems and routines
- A strong team perspective that places team and brewery needs above personal needs; acts as the ultimate coach for quality
- Ability to get work done through others while working autonomously on other projects
- Successfully manages, leads, or coaches the team through multiple QA and production projects
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Ability to represent SNBCo. at the industry level with the highest level of integrity and professionalism
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices and Good Manufacturing Practices
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to help diagnose, decide on, and solve brewery problems
- Troubleshoots and lead teams to troubleshoot brewery related quality concerns
- Capable of leading through ambiguity Ability to solve problems and develop solutions when faced with complex situations
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment background check
- You must be at least 21-years-old to work for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- This position requires a flexible schedule based on business needs
5-10% travel required to professional conferences, the Chico or Mills River brewery, and suppliers will be needed, as appropriate.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The frequency of the below physical requirements & working conditions are represented as follows: Rarely represents 0-25% of the shift. Occasionally represents 25-50% of the shift. Frequently represents 51-75% of the shift. Constantly represents 76-100% of the shift. This is an exempt position and workdays may occasionally exceed the standard 8 hours.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; outdoor weather conditions; extreme cold (non-weather); extreme heat (non-weather) and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet and may occasionally be moderate or require hearing protection.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to lift up to 35 pounds without assistance, and maneuver 50 pounds safely and with proper body mechanics. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
** This position will remain open until filled; online applications will be reviewed weekly **
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer