Robert Taira founded King’s Hawaiian in Hilo Hawaii 64 years ago and, after capturing the lion’s share of the bakery business on the big island, moved the business to Honolulu in the 60’s. There, King’s Hawaiian became not only the largest bakery business and a successful restaurant, but also the largest customer in Hawaii of the US Postal Service due to the huge mail order business from stateside consumers who craved the Original Sweet Bread. To realize the next vision in his plan, Robert moved the business to Torrance, CA in the early 70’s where it resides today with two restaurants and two bakery plants including one of the most modern in the industry. King’s Hawaiian is continuing to grow and built a brand new bakery facility near Atlanta GA that went live in October 2011.
The company, which is still 100% family owned, is now led by Robert’s son Mark who serves as CEO and continues the family’s long time commitment to irresistible quality and behavioral values that make King’s Hawaiian a great place to work.
Mission Statement: We deliver irresistible Hawaiian foods and Aloha Spirit that families love everywhere everyday.
Core Values: Excellence / Dignity / Telling it like it is, in a way that can be heard
THE POSITION - $13.09/hr plus Shift Difference
Removes all finished bakery products off the packaging conveyors and packs them into plastic baskets or corrugated master cases.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Picks up bakery products and places them in cases or trays.
2. Observes conveyors and packaging machine operation to prevent jams.
3. Dislodges jams while following all safety procedures.
4. Removes filled cases from discharge end of tape machine and places them on pallets and conveyors.
5. Inspects products for damage or for conformity to specifications prior to pack into master case.
6. Transports completed pallets into the storage area.
7. Breaks up and stages case dividers.
8. Supplies empty cases to other packaging helpers
9. Keeps work area clean and orderly be sweeping floors, wiping down equipment and other sanitation jobs assigned.
10. Performs other tasks that may arise within the manufacturing area after appropriate training.
11. Sets the tape machine to the product and case specifications through training.
12. Passes the cases through the tape machine and printing system.
13. Monitors the tape on top and bottom of the case to ensure all flaps have been sealed properly with tape in the middle.
14. Monitors the case to ensure the bar code and lot number are print correctly by the printing system.
15. Makes sure the case entry is square to the machine.
16. Repacks damage cases on the line.
17. Monitors the tape level on the top and bottom of the tape machine. Changes the rolls of tape when finished.
18. Clears any jammed cases on the conveyor.
19. Reports case counts on count sheets for each product that passes though the tape machine.
20. Operates material handling equipment to convey and store materials and finished goods.
21. Reports all equipment problems to the foreman and/or supervisor immediately.
22. Helps in training of new employees or employees who change job classifications.
23. Cooperates on all matters relating to safety and health in the work area and positively promote safety in our operations.
24. Understands and complies with all general and specific safe job procedures that apply to your job.
25. Plans and carries out job assignments without creating hazards to yourself and other employees.
26. Reports all unsafe acts and/or conditions or equipment immediately.
27. Promotes safety in the work area by understanding and complying with safety procedures and reporting all incidents in a timely manner.
28. Promotes our company values of “Dignity, Excellence, and Telling it like it is in a way that can be heard” through your actions and by educating the staff about our values.
29. Reports to work physically and mentally ready to do the job. We insist on a substance free environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This individual must be Safety conscience. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• One year of general warehouse/production work experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals written in English. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence in English.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Duties may require use of equipment in machine shop, small portable equipment and manual tools. Duties may require occasional operation of a motor vehicle or travel to another state on behalf of the company.
This position is scheduled to work on a shift basis. May also be scheduled to work all shifts. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
Note: This Position Description indicates the critical features of the role as they are presently envisioned. They are subject to change at any time due to business conditions or other reasons. The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
We participate in E-Verify. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE MFDV.