Are you passionate about baking?
If so, we want to meet you! We are KING’S HAWAIIAN®, the leader in the Hawaiian food category and owners of both KING’S HAWAIIAN® Bakery and Restaurant, and THE LOCAL PLACE® Bakery and Café. We are committed to providing the highest quality food service and dining experience possible at both our restaurant locations, and are seeking a “baking expert” to take on that challenge.
If you are up to the challenge, you will have the opportunity to assist in leading a bakery operations team that supplies our two bakery and restaurant locations in the South Bay. You will not be just the head baker, because you will also utilize your baking skills and get your hands “doughy” to ensure the highest quality of bakery products for our guests.
Are you hungry?? Energize your career today and apply online. Start feeling great about what you do!
Based in Torrance, California, King’s Hawaiian Retail, Inc. is a family operated retail bakery and restaurant operation. All of our retail operations are currently located in the South Bay (Torrance). King’s Hawaiian has been in business since 1950 and has a rich tradition of successful family ownership, a commitment to remain family owned, and a culture built on the “aloha spirit”.
The company is strongly committed to the clear mission to “serve irresistible Hawaiian baked goods and foods with a commitment to integrity in a uniquely inviting Aloha atmosphere, which will remain a gathering place for our community for generations to come”. Our culture is built on the following core behavioral values: Excellence; Dignity; Telling it like it is in a way that can be heard”.
Reporting to the Bakery Manager, the Retail Head Baker maintains product consistency and quality of all baked goods servicing our retail stores. Under the guidance of the Bakery Manager, this person oversees, and develops and trains the commissary staff. The work involved would include most steps in baking preparation from the accurate measuring, mixing of ingredients, and bench and baking to ensuring the quality and consistency of the final product. This person would recommend and implement effective and efficient systems and tools while maintaining quality products. This is a hands-on working position that will be directly involved in the actual daily production. The Head Baker stays current with products, equipment, and processes in baking industry.
- Particular about following recipes and procedures.
- Uses recipes for bakery products, updating them upon approved changes.
- Maintains accurate records of information to evaluate alternative methods and processes to increase efficiency and quality, and reducing waste.
- Implementation of best baking practices. Recommends and implements baking processes that are effective and efficient.
- Follows recipes, maintains ingredients, and uses approved baking procedures.
- Participates in ordering raw materials and supplies to the specifications stated in the recipes.
- Checks and verifies that all equipment is functioning properly and calibrated accurately.
- Participates in new product development.
Training and Communication (20%)
- Provides “hands on training and cross-training” for bakery staff and enables opportunities for growth.
- Conducts continuous training with staff to promote baking skills.
- Teacher and coach to staff on baking best practices.
- Observes and trains staff on corrective action steps and updated SOP procedures.
- Communicates with transparency regularly with immediate supervisor to ensure a smooth running operation.
- Models compliance with King's Hawaiian Bakery GMP's, including all SQF requirements.
- Models, coaches, & enforces all aspects of the King’s Hawaiian Safety Plan.
- Provides feedback for quarterly progress reports and annual performance evaluation of commissary staff.
Quality Assurance (20%)
- Consistently verifies quality of products.
- Verifies recipes are being accurately and the process, controls, and work are consistent.
- Maintains quality ingredients for all products.
- Ensures the accuracy of packaging and labeling.
- Maintains the food safety guidelines in all of the work areas.
- Maintains the cleanliness of all bakery areas and equipment including storerooms, coolers, and freezers.
- Applies all policies and procedures to insure safe food handling, use of PPE, and compliance with all state codes and regulations.
- Follows and enforces all SQF procedures.
- Trouble shoots product and equipment issues, develops corrective action plans, and implements.
- Follows R&D and Corrective Action Plan processes.
Cost Control (10%)
- Helps identify efficiencies that get the best out of use of product, minimize waste, and maximize productivity.
- Maintains and expands upon current production trends and techniques. Stays abreast of trends in industry and develops quick oversight to expand people rotations.
Functional and Technical Skills
- 5-8 years hands on baking
- Baking school or training preferred
- 1-2 years of supervisory or lead responsibility preferred.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to teach, coach and motivate employees on a daily basis using our Core Values.
- Demonstrated ability to use critical thinking skills to
- Works a flexible schedule to include covering production shifts (midnight, day shifts, and holidays) if staffing levels or production require coverage.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain good rapport with constituents within the immediate work group and resolve conflicts in a calm, fair and rational manner.
- Possesses the ability to communicate in a clear and persuasive manner appropriate to the situation. Initiates clarification as needed and possesses good listening skills.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, both independently and within a team environment
- Ability to read to comprehend and convey policies and procedures to staff as well as write in a clear, concise manner.
- Capable of following the disciplinary process.
- Ability to diagnose production quality and efficiency issues and solve.
- Moderate WORD and EXCEL applications.
- Food Handler certification required.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact both inside and outside the organization.
- Seeks out what is needed, takes the initiative.
- Ability to listen with the intent to be influenced.
- Committed to continuous improvement in a dynamic industry.
- Flexible and willing to handle an ever changing work environment.
- Self-aware, behaves respectfully.
- Willing and able to resolve conflict.
- Committed to speaking up, articulates with brevity.
- Solicits feedback openly.
Note: This Position Description indicates the critical features of the role as they are presently envisioned. They are subject to change at any time due to business conditions or other reasons. The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required