Mandate: To competently* and professionally* produces and executes an on-air radio mix show that is both entertaining and informative to the listening audience.
- Professional Development
Objectives (by Responsibility)
- Provide hit driven on air mix show by mixing the music of that stations format within the guideline of the Program Director and FCC requirements either live or pre-recorded.
- Write script, contests and interview questions.
- Memorize script, reads, or ad-libs to identify station, introduce and close shows, and announce station breaks, commercials, or public service information.
- Prepare and create a topical show by gathering information from wire copy, periodicals, computer and television.
- Read news flash to keep audience informed of important events.
- Record interviews of guest, musical or other famous or public personalities, and edits interviews.
- Interview guest, and moderate panel or discussion show to entertain audience.
- Answer phone lines and interview members of listening audience who telephone musical requests. Air contests according to the specifications of the program director.
- Plan and stage community events, including hosting and assisting at charity functions.
- Attend live, in-person appearances as scheduled by the station or requested by clients.
- Provide live reports from site of event.
- Maintain and build a positive cooperative attitude within the station and a strong personal community involvement.
- Sets up equipment for broadcasts and promotions at station remotes.
- Ensure logged commercials, promotions, sweepers and any other programming element essential to the station's operations are aired.
- Follow and enforces FCC regulations, station and company policies, including implementing station's / state's EAS procedures.
- Perform additional duties in small stations, such as production, music director, operating radio transmitter or writing advertising copy. Plays music as specified by music director and music log.
- Fill in as needed for on-air shift.
- Responsible for the successful execution of all programming elements that include the following:
- Airing live and pre-recorded shows all commercials and promos as scheduled
- Completing traffic log and logging discrepancies.
- Airing emergency alert system tests as indicated.
- Engineering remote broadcasts and following station procedures.
- To attend all relevant skill building workshops as requested.
- To stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- To drive your own Performance Appraisal every twelve months.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each main responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/ or Experience
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school. Must have at least 2 years prior experience as on-air morning show host for morning show host position. Must have at least 2 years on-air experience for all other on-air positions. An equivalent combination of education and experience is desirable.
* Professionalism is described as being consistently appropriate in all situations and at all times.
*Competence is defined as using “effectiveness and efficiency” in equal measure at all times