Position: Network Engineer Reports To: Infrastructure Director
Location: Corporate Office Department: IT
FLSA: Exempt Station:
Mandate: The Network Engineer, under the direction of the IT Infrastructure Director, will support the enterprise network environment consisting of Active Directory (2003/2008), Exchange 2010, vSphere 5.x, Cisco routers/switches and firewalls running on a Cisco GB switched network. This person shall provide service in a manner that is consistent with the Departments goal of delivering stable, reliable, highly-available and secure systems to customers. This position is expected to work autonomously with tasks assigned to him/her. This includes attending meetings with customers and IT staff, prioritizing work, as well as setting and meeting deadlines which satisfy the needs of our customers.
- Network Support
- Self- Management
- Professional Development
Objectives (by Responsibility )
- The Network Engineer provides tier 3 support and troubleshooting as needed to assist in providing daily support, maintenance and administration for the company’s network infrastructure equipment
- Assist is supporting company’s messaging Systems to include Exchange 2010, ActiveSync, BES server, and Mimecast cloud based spam/antivirus solution
- Helps to design networked systems across the enterprise to ensure redundancy between all markets and adequate disaster recovery in the event of a network emergency
- Research best practices for deploying highly available and redundant networked systems
- As a member of the engineering team, assists in the design, documentation, implementation and support of Windows 2003/2008 network configurations
- Responsible for implementing and deploying group policies and Active Directory network services (DHCP, WINS & DNS) within a Windows 2003/2008 networking environment
- Assist with the security aspects of networking such as firewalls, Anti-virus and URL filtering
- Architect the LAN using Cisco switches and routers in a QOS environment utilizing VoIP telephony equipment and video conferencing
- Involved in proactively maintaining and upgrading storage (NetApp) and virtualization platforms.
- Develops detailed network specifications and adheres to company standards in support of new project scope work
- Develops and recommends strategies for network growth, security, and enhancements
- Responsible for the design and implementation of secure Instant Messaging systems using Microsoft’s Lync 2013
- Keeps abreast of the latest technology and provide findings and recommendations to management
- Troubleshoot Messaging, Network and AD problems, determine the underlying cause and use good judgment to resolve the issue
- Draft and maintain network related documentation
- Must be available and willing to work extended and/or alternative hours as needed for issue resolutions, deployments, system upgrades, etc
- Report to work on a regular basis
- Monitors the network on a daily basis to gather statistical data on system performance and perform necessary remediation
- Forecast network system demands, consult with key business partners and draft findings and recommendations for management
1. To ensure that appropriate Self-Management is exercised at all times, as it applies to the overall function and specifically as it relates to:
- Overall Professionalism
- Dress code (should be consistent with your job function, including appropriate grooming)
- Confidentiality (at all times)
- Managing Emotions ( Emotional Maturity and control in all situations)
- Taking Initiative (may include taking risks)
- Being self-directed
- Accepting responsibility
- Being accountable
- Accepting and growing with others Critique
- Being objective (issue relevant)
- Building and maintaining workable relationships
- Suspending judgment (when relevant)
- Not discriminating
- Being accepting rather than judgmental (when appropriate)
- Allowing others their feelings
- Extending common courtesies
- Behaving out of a sense of urgency (when appropriate)
- Striving for Balance
- Appropriately delegating
- Evolving self-awareness
- Problem Solving and Decision Making (within scope of the function)
- To attend all relevant skill building workshops as requested.
- To stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- To drive your own Performance Appraisal every six months.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each main responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum 7 years experience with Microsoft technologies (Active Directory, Exchange 2007/2010, IIS, DNS and DHCP)primary role as a Microsoft Active Directory system engineer
- Minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience in managing networking systems, design of network system, and LAN/WAN management required
- Bachelor’s degree in IT related curriculum preferred
- 4 + years experience installing and configuring VMware 4.x/5 across a large enterprise environment
- Design experience with Blackberry Enterprise Server BES 5 &10)
- Proven experience researching new products and technologies
- A strong working knowledge of VMware, Citrix XenApp and clustering technologies desired.
- Must be an independent, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly organized individual
- Prior experience with Enterprise search tools across messaging systems
- Highly motivated and able to work well under the pressures of a dynamic and fast-paced environment with constantly changing priorities
- Excellent customer service skills required
- Demonstrated success in analyzing a problem, troubleshooting and resolving it, while providing documentation for future reference
- Availability for evening and weekend work projects, f lexibility for travel required
- Ability to constantly communicate with staff, attorneys and vendors. Individual must be able to confidently and accurately communicate in both written and verbal form
Education and/ or Experience
See Qualifications section
Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
* Professionalism is described as being consistently appropriate in all situations and at all times.
*Competence is defined as using “effectiveness and efficiency” in equal measure at all times.