On-Air Talent (Part Time)
To competently* and professionally* provide continuity and surveillance information in a professional, knowledgeable and entertaining way and will be active in pre-show strategy and execution.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each main responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/ or Experience
Three to five years of on air commercial radio experience.
- On Air
- Off Air
- Self Management
- Professional Development
Objectives (by Responsibility)
- To ensure that appropriate continuity is maintained at all times while on the air. This includes:
- Programming links
- Set-ups and Transitions (music identification to co-host, or any pre-taped items etc.).
- To appropriately re-enforce the radio station identity and program at all times. This includes:
- Station call letters
- Positioning statements
- Creative Hooks
- Cross Promotion
- Back sells.
- To professionally (consistently appropriate) deliver all relevant information on an ongoing basis. This includes:
- Time checks
- Temperature checks
- Event Information.
Music Knowledge and Appreciation
- To competently (effectively & efficiently) display your knowledge and enthusiasm about and for the music that is played. This includes:
- In-depth knowledge of the music being played
- Understanding listener’s tastes
- Staying in touch with music and all related issues (research, analysis etc.).
- To contribute and support the creation of the show on a daily basis. This includes:
- Participation in daily post-mortem and planning meeting
- Participation in daily pre-show meeting.
- To appropriately implement all assigned duties from the producer on a daily basis. This includes:
- Pre-show and live interviews
- Contribution to comedy skits
- Writing scripts
- Attending Press conferences, functions and events
- Researching background material.
- To ensure that all relevant material for the show is competently prepared on a daily basis. This includes:
- Assigned promotion mentions
- Reviewing commercial logs for live tags
- Scanning daily newspaper for any relevant items
- Reviewing promo cards for possible on air use etc.
- To professionally (consistently appropriate) and competently (effectively & efficiently) appear in public when and where required on an ongoing basis. This includes:
- Participation in station remote broadcasts
- Preparation as required
- Representation at charity events, community events etc.
- Create and post original on-line content that meets company standards on social networking
- Content must be a combination of written blog posts, video blogs and photo galleries
To ensure that appropriate Self-Management is exercised at all times, as it applies to the overall function and specifically as it relates to:
- Overall Professionalism
- Dress code (should be consistent with your job function, includes appropriate grooming )
- Confidentiality (at all times)
- Managing Emotions (Emotional Maturity and control in all situations)
- Taking Initiative (may include taking risks)
- Being self-directed
- Accepting responsibility
- Being accountable
- Accepting and growing with others Critique
- Being objective (issue relevant)
- Building and maintaining workable relationships
- Suspending judgment (when relevant)
- Not discriminating
- Being accepting rather than judgmental (when appropriate)
- Allowing others their feelings
- Extending common courtesies
- Behaving out of a sense of urgency (when appropriate)
- Striving for Balance
- Appropriately delegating
- Evolving self-awareness
- Problem Solving and Decision Making (within scope of the function)
- To attend all relevant skill building workshops as requested.
- To stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- To drive your own Performance Appraisal every six months.
*Professionalism is described as being consistently appropriate in all situations and at all times.
*Competence is defined as using “effectiveness and efficiency” in equal measure at all times.