Mandate: To competently* and professionally* support the Senior Vice President, General Counsel and each member of the Legal Department, ensuring that all relevant business, legal, administrative, interdepartmental, inter-company, and personal matters are handled with the appropriate level of confidentiality, sensitivity and care. Provide administrative, clerical, and contract administration support to the legal team.
- Administrative and Clerical Support
- Contract Administration
- Interdepartmental and Inter-company Coordination
- Professional Development
Objectives (by Responsibility)
- Provide administrative and clerical support to each member of the Legal Department, including word processing, filing, faxing, timely processing expense reports, and other duties customarily performed by an assistant
- Be an effective liaison between the Legal Department and its clients, outside counsel, and business associates at all times.
- Ensure that all relevant issues are treated with the strictest confidence and the appropriate level of sensitivity to the issue and parties involved at all times.
- Ensure that all contacts to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel’s office are timely answered and directed to the relevant parties in a competent and professional manner at all times.
- Relay all messages and important information received via telephone calls timely and accurately to the appropriate party(s).
- Timely respond or take action within one business day on all emails received.
- Distribute department mail daily and timely take action as requested by Department attorneys and staff.
- Organize and maintain physical and electronic filing systems for Department and for individual attorneys to ensure that all the filing for legal department attorneys and staff is kept up to date according to each staff member’s requirements.
- Prepare correspondence for attorneys as needed.
- Handle overnight packages and certified mail requests from Department staff as requested.
- Prepare check requests and process SARFS for the Legal Department staff.
- Prepare and process Legal Department invoices in a timely fashion.
- Schedule meetings and assist with conference calls for the Legal Department staff.
- Handle travel arrangements and conference registrations, and process expense reports for the Legal Department attorneys and staff.
- Photocopy, fax, and proofread as requested by the Legal Department attorneys.
- Order and maintain adequate levels of office supplies for use by Legal Department personnel.
- Coordinate with the I.T. Department to ensure timely maintenance, repair and/or replacement, as appropriate, of Legal Department office equipment.
- Manage and track invoice payment process and monthly budget and expense forecast process for outside counsel and other Legal Department vendors and expenses.
- Coordinate board and board committee meetings logistics and disseminate communications for annual shareholders meeting.
- Schedule and coordinate conference calls, department meetings and other meetings as requested, and
provide organizational logistics for board, board committee, department and other meetings.
- Maintain contract database.
- Suggest appropriate contract administrative practice and procedures.
- Participate in the coordination and development of contract policy and process improvement.
- Prepare summaries of contractual requirements.
- Maintain Audit file for each contract that includes:
- Original contract
- All correspondence
- Prepare and disseminate Information to appropriate employees regarding contract status.
- Track authorization status and correspondence.
- Ensure contract execution in accordance with policy.
- Track and communicate contract deadlines.
- Maintain detailed and organized files.
- Timely input contracts into contract database; administer contract expiration date tickler system.
- Understand the material implications of corporate contracts and demonstrate the ability to explain these implications.
Interdepartmental and Intercompany Coordination
- Ensure effective communication of interdepartmental and intercompany communications.
- Provide administrative support to legal team members.
- Effectively direct his or her own activities toward the successful completion of assigned responsibilities. Self-management includes, but is not limited to, the following skills and characteristics, and should be exhibited at all times in connection with employment:
- Exhibiting professionalism and courtesy
- Exercising sound judgement
- Adhering to company dress code (should be consistent with your job function, including appropriate grooming)
- Confidentiality (at all times)
- Managing Emotions ( emotional Maturity and control in all situations)
- Taking Initiative (may include taking risks)
- Being self-directed
- Accepting responsibility
- Being accountable
- Accepting and growing with others Critique
- Being objective (issue relevant)
- Building and maintaining workable relationships
- Suspending judgment (when relevant)
- Not discriminating
- Prioritizing matters
- Striving for Balance
- Delegating appropriately
- Evolving self-awareness
- Problem Solving and Decision Making (within scope of the function)
- Regular and punctual attendance in office
- Attend all relevant skill building workshops as requested.
- Gain knowledge of contract administration policies and principles.
- Develop strong analytical skills to suggest solutions to contract challenges.
- Stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- Drive your own Performance Appraisal every twelve months.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each main responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/ or Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required. Four+ years of professional business experience prior experience supporting a high-level executive preferred. Contract Administration a plus.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or governmental regulations. Ability to write business correspondence. Ability to effectively and persuasively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
*Professionalism is described as being consistently appropriate in all situations and at all times.
*Competence is defined as using “effectiveness and efficiency” in equal measure at all times.