Position: Online Editor Reports To:
Location: Philadelphia Department:
FLSA: Exempt Station: N/A
Mandate: To competently* and professionally* develop and execute strategies that facilitate the content objectives (i.e. developing and managing content) for Radio One radio station websites in Philadelphia, PA market. The position is responsible for increasing the sites’ online traffic and engagement as well as growing the brands’ digital footprint across multiple platforms, through the maintained programming of local, celebrity, entertainment, news and local events, and by linking the stations’ on-air and off-line marketing and promotional activities.
- Professional Development
Objectives (by Responsibility)
- Report on and engage with local Philadelphia and surrounding area activities events and activity
- Scope, edit and write posts about news, celebrity, entertainment, and gossip collected from both the local and national level.
- Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Work with radio personalities to assist in the creation and maintenance of daily blogs.
- Maintain and grow all digital platforms including station’s social network accounts, SMS clubs, mobile streaming apps and newsletters.
- Work with the Vice President of Content Strategy and Operations to leverage national programming opportunities tools and strategies.
- Investigate and participate in relevant skill building workshops as it applies to the ongoing development of the function.
- Stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- Drive your own Performance Appraisal every 12 months.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each main responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- You must have an abiding fascination with, and/or deep knowledge of, African-American music and culture.
- You must be an absolute web junkie, familiar with all websites that cover African-American news, entertainment, celebrity, gossip and events.
- You must be fully knowledgeable and an active participant in the local community, culture and events of Philadelphia, PA.
- You must be able to evangelize the website internally and externally and work as part of a team.
- You must be enthusiastic and disciplined; a self-starter that can thrive in fast-paced environments with tight deadlines and aggressive performance targets.
Metrics for Success:
- Of utmost importance to the Online Editor is web traffic primarily indicated by Unique Visitors (UVs) and Page views (PVs). Other performance metrics including time spent, bounce rates, and impressions will also be used.
- The brands’ overall digital footprint (Facebook Reach, Twitter & IG followers, SMS & Newsletter databases, Snapchat database and more) growth is also of utmost importance.
- Ensuring compelling and up-to-date content always available will be the Online Editor's best way of influencing these key performance indicators
Education and/ or Experience
- 3 years of experience finding and producing editorial content online.
- Knows effective ways to distribute, promote and market content over the web.
- Knowledge of how to publish to and maintain a content management system (CMS), WordPress a plus.
- Must know how to perform rudimentary photo resizing, audio and video editing using programs including Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, and Sound Studio.
- Familiar with, and knows how to analyze, the metrics of Google Analytics.
- Working knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) best practices.
- Social media optimization knowledge, specifically in regards to Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat and Facebook.
*Professionalism is described as being consistently appropriate in all situations and at all times.
*Competence is defined as using “effectiveness and efficiency” in equal measure at all times.