Interactive One (www.interactiveone.com) is powered by the mission to create an online community that provides rich content and digital products that engage, entertain and inspire the lives of African Americans.
We are the #1 digital platform for the Multi-Cultural Millennials, reaching millions of users each month through a suite of content, social, and local radio offerings. iOne owns and operates a number of branded destinations, including HipHopWired (Hip Hop x Technology),GlobalGrind (Millennials), HelloBeautiful (Women), MadameNoire (Women’s Lifestyle), NewsOne (Affluent), Bossip (Celebrity News & Gossip) and TheUrbanDaily (Men), as well as social networking sites such as BlackPlanet, and more than 50 local radio sites. Interactive One was launched in 2008 by Radio One, Inc. [NASDAQ: ROIA and ROIAK, radio-one.com] to complement its existing portfolio of media companies targeting Black Americans.
The Associate Editor, GlobalGrind will play a key role in shaping the viral news, social commentary, quizzes, and music coverage for GG. The ideal candidate is a motivated, self-starter with an adept knowledge of social media, the latest trends and an eye for stories that examine the lives of multicultural millennials and their content needs as they relate to music, viral news, and conversations online. The candidate will also write daily content (including articles, listicles and photo galleries) for GG, and work with social team to promote their content and engage users.
The ideal candidate will live and breathe urban culture and will have a history of creating viral content that speaks to a millennial audience. He/she will have sharp storytelling skills and will also understand how to optimize all music and entertainment content for social platforms. This role reports directly to the Deputy Editor of GlobalGrind.
- Publish 4-5 posts daily on GlobalGrind
- Pitch relevant and timely celebs and influencers for interviews and countdowns
- Monitor site analytics to decide which content is most engaging and performs well
- Stay abreast on what’s buzzing online to catch news and report before mainstream virality
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
- Must be an avid consumer of news, current events, politics, entertainment and culture topics with particular attention to content related to African-American male and Millennial audiences
- Ability to work a full-time schedule and abide by the nature of a 24-hour news cycle
- WordPress CMS publishing
- Multimedia production experience (including photo, audio & video)
- Expert in social sharing skills & success methods
- A deep affinity for the African-American audience
- Knowledge of reporting and editing standards and practices
- BA/BS (preferred) in journalism, liberal arts, English, fashion-related field or equivalent focus.
- Previous experience/internship writing for an entertainment magazine or website
- Experience working market and assisting with original photo shoots
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to write flawless copy on deadline in a fast-paced environment
COMPANY CORE VALUES:
- We believe in ideas that matter. To our clients. To the audiences we serve. To us. We don't care about the size of the idea as long as it makes a meaningful difference.
- We challenge everything. No thought. No point of view. No industry convention. Nothing is off limits. No idea is too great to be challenged when it comes to exploring ways to make things better.
- We have high expectations. We require the most out of each other because we know that the highest levels of achievement cannot take place without the highest levels of expectations.
- We take risks. Not any risks, but smart risks. The type of risks that can propel us to new heights. We embrace failure as long as we are aiming for the mountaintops and finding new lessons in the instances where we happen to fall short.
- We are humble giants. We are the best at what we do without the cockiness to go along with it. We are nice people who sit confidently at the top of our craft. To us, actions will always speak louder than words.
- We take care. Of our responsibilities. Of the work. Of our reputation. And most of all, of each other. Beyond being accountable, we are committed to never let each other fail. We partner until the work tells us it’s done. No agenda is higher than the one uniting us all.